Note to New Members ×

TSA: tool = weapon

joecarve

It's an emotional issue. But one thing I know for sure - terrorists are not crazy. There is no evidence that shows 9/11 conspirators were insane. Nor the London bombers or the Madrid bombers. In their minds, what they were doing was entirely rational. We don't understand their actions but that doesn't make them crazy. We need to deal with the root of the problem rather than just "killing all the crazies".

After 9/11, the U.S. had unprecedented sympathy from the rest of the world. There was truly an outpouring of brotherly love - from Christians and Muslims alike. Instead of leveraging these feelings to seek reconciliation, we sought revenge.

We all should have remembered the words of Nelson Mandela:

"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner. "

Mandela chose reconciliation, not revenge with the former apartheid government. He forgave the people who threw him in jail for 25 years. Because of that, South Africa has peace. Why can't we learn from that?

Terrorism is wrong, but so is taking someone's life. I'm quite sure the person can be stopped without killing him or her. It's, in my opinion, excessive force.

Picture this, you are the unfortunate air marshall confronting a crazy who claims to have a bomb. Quickly, what goes through your head as he reaches into his pack ?

Do you get to go home today?

Will your co workers get to go home in one piece?

What if you do the wrong thing either by action or inaction?

Btw, you don't have a lot or time to decide.

I guess you could set your phaser on stun though :AR15firin

bitching in a snowboarding internet chat room is not effecting change.

You're right! But that was merely my opinion and isn't that what you're doing... expressing yours as well?

This is getting rather personal and political and rather hot and I have learned from past expereince that the forum rules of political talk :argue: here just separates and doesn't do much of anything is actually rather wise, so I am REALLY out of here...