Note to New Members ×

I never thought this could happened....

Zcarver

...the wisdom of checking equipment EVERY time out, and then some. Two days ago I grabbed my GS board with TD-1's and went riding. It was later in the day and I was anxious to get up the hill. I usually crank on everything in the p-lot just before I head up, but I had just mounted these bindings after a PTC tune and not used the board yet and, here's the key, THOUGHT I had even cranked all the bolts down once more since mounting the bindings. I get up the chair, clip in, head down, and on the first turn my rear foot inverts and goes GOOFY (I'm REGULAR)...WEIRD feeling! It was then I remembered playing with my angles a week ago. The plate was loose on the disc, not enough to come off, but enough to spin. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING...I KNOW this, but I guess I had to be reminded anyway. Whether it's a mountain bike, kayak, skateboard, gun (especially), lug nuts, WHATEVER...TIGHT IS RIGHT.

Zcarver...glad you are OKAY and getting all new bails. I used to replace all my bails on my burton Plates every 100 days or so regardless of what they LOOKED like.

Ever thought about the possibility that the aluminum on the boot caused more stress on the bails?!

I use a simple commercial soft grade aluminum and carefully shape the brace to fit heel section. Even as I clamp down the boot to the binding, the heel and the brace did not move. The boot was not loose or too tight in the binding. It was a good snug fit.

I agree with the others about the fatigue and the stress on the bails. I have been using the TDs for the past 4 seasons the bails probably had to withstand 50,000 G's I did in that time. Perhaps even more, I lost count.

I just thought maybe because of the larger diameter of the bails, I would of gotten a little more lifetime. Oh well. It is true what the people above said. The metals don't last forever.

Thanks guys for the concern words. ;)

I broke a TD2 bail last year in a SL corse, they wernt even mine, they were Adam Cassinova's, but what i want to know is who is the lightest to break a bomber bail, i weigh between 140-145 lbs. the reason i broke mine is because i snapped high pressure really quickly on a toe side then when i roled it over to my next it just gave out and i slid out on my a$$.

Good ways to not hurt your self is to tie a peice of string through the front bail, then once your strapped in put the string under your toe strap of your boot, that way even if you break something your foot will still be attached

Guest Don Speziale

I agree with the others about the fatigue and the stress on the bails. I have been using the TDs for the past 4 seasons the bails probably had to withstand 50,000 G's I did in that time. Perhaps even more, I lost count.

50,000 gs?????Youre joking right?

:eek: You count your turns???? double :eek:

However, Glad youre okay :)

Guest jameswolf

Hey Tony, Sorry about the bail. Glad you are okay dude.

2 things off topic, thank you for telling me about bomber! Great site! Secondly, I went to the ski shop you mention and they still have that old, but brand new burton boots! Fit me perfect!!! Thank again for the info! I am ready to go up!

I can tell you this don, Z is an animal when carving. I know he goes about 20 to 25 gs on each run. He never stops! So I do believe it. He does put in many mid-week days. He is a sick dog! That why the bail failed! He's very abusive! LOLOL

Guest jameswolf
YIKES !!!! Glad you are ok Zcarver !!!!

Aggressive? Zcarver? noooooo... lol

I've been snowboarding for 11 years and you are by far the most aggressive hardbooter I ever saw ride! And maybe the most enthusiastic too.

If I were you I would replace your other 3 bails. This is metal fatigue. You ride hard, you ride fast and you ride a lot. You just plain wore them out. Again, the paper clip analogy as mentioned above. So replace the other 3 paper clips. They are all tired now.

the old man,

Sic

Agree! That what I keep saying! He just wore them out.

Hey Don, while it may sound crazy, at one time I was counting my G turns. I just wanted to see how many turns I could do in single day.

Then I took it further to see how many G's I do in a single season. When you go the MT by yourself it is easy to keep track of the numbers. I am not always accurate with the numbers all the time, especially the G's count. I can forget or didnt do the G count. But the amount of runs and days are easier to remember. I stop doing the G count about 2 season ago. I still do keep track on how many runs and days I do in a season.

50,000 G's in last 4 seasons? Well I think I did more than that. I wont bored you to death with my history of carving. :sleep: But I will say this. I do know for a Fact I do about an average of 15 to 30 G's per run. Anybody can do this, not that hard to do. It depends on the conditions and the length of the trail. During the 2001, 02 and 03 season I have very accurate numbers on my events. After that I lost track here and there.

Here is just an example. At Okemo the most runs I did in a single day from 9:15 to 3 pm is 28 runs. So Let say I did 20 G's per run. 28 runs x 20 g turns = 560 G's in a single day. Now suppose I was able to maintain this count for the next 20 days of riding in a season. 560 G's x 20 days = 11,200 G's in a single season. And this is doing a low count.

I have done a lot more than 560 G in a single day. I am only counting the "L" G's to super low G's only. Other carving such as stand-up riding or fish tailing as well as the quick "weeble-wobbles" don't count.

This is who I am. No big deal, whatever and who cares. LOL. :rolleyes: However it is amazing how the numbers add up. I always enjoyed the numbers. :D

I made an aluminum brace to hold the section together.

Z,

What size your 325's be? I got brand new (practically) pair of Burton Winds I don't use anymore (for freebees to you). Better they die a glorious life than just dry rot away in my garage. Size 9.

Sic

Z,

What size your 325's be? I got brand new (practically) pair of Burton Winds I don't use anymore (for freebees to you). Better they die a glorious life than just dry rot away in my garage. Size 9.

Sic

Hey Sic!

The 325 were a size 27.5. I brought the Deeluxe Suzuka a few weeks ago. The Boots are great! The ThermoFlex liners were the answers to my foot problem. I no longer need the mole foam padding any more. I bake the liners in my oven a week ago! Hmmm taste good! :1luvu:

Thanks!

Just look at any pictures here, You see it everywhere.

As Jack put it:

Alpine riders use gravity much like a sailor or windsurfer uses the wind to cut the fastest tack across the water. By redirecting the force of gravity, the snowboard takes the rider in a direction different from that which gravity would normally dictate. This difference is what enables snowboarders to control how fast and wide they carve down a hill. Toying with gravity by making delicate adjustments from foot to foot and from side to side to get the fastest and cleanest line down the slope is the never ending pursuit that alpine riders crave .

:1luvu:

post-386-141842209407_thumb.jpg

post-386-141842209407_thumb.jpg