Note to New Members ×

Volant Excel 162 - good buy?

Skwalleur

Hey carvers!

I just got the chance to buy a brand new Volant Excel. From what I've found in the posts it is a nice board, but some people have had problems with the top-sheet coming off.

Could someone give me the bottom line on them to support my decision?

I'm 72 kilos, normaly rides Sims Burner/Premium and serveral Skwals.

/Teddo

I like mine. It is a 'busy' board - I once had the Mt Rose carvers laughing at me because I was putting in 2 turns to every one chasing a GS carver down Bonanza.

The Volant poops all over the Ultraprime 162 I learned on. The Volant just seems to hang-on a lot harder, and push through chop and crud with a lot of ease for it's small size.

My 4x4 169 is my ride of choice at the moment - I can get as many turns in on the hill, but it rides a lot damper than the Volant so I feel a lot more relaxed on it. Besides, the Prior lets me carve fakie (my newest skill-set, still practising).

The delamination problem is going to happen if you seriously ding it. Hasn't happened to me yet. I bought mine used, with almost no camber - I think I have read postings here that the Volants have sod-all camber to start with anyway.

If you do buy it, be prepared to have the board stared at and then field a lot of questions on the lift. There are a lot of old school Volant ski-groupies out there, and they just don't make snowboards like it anymore.

Let me know if you don't buy it - I might like to.

Cheers.

It was on a second chance from German ebay.

Fixed price in Euros - like $275. Great price, for a brand new?!

About the lift questions... I'm kind of used to it ripping it up with my Skwals.

Thanks a lot. I'll probably buy it and hope that I can sell my two Sims Burners lying around.

you could have a renn tiger, I have allot against volant stuff I worked in a shop and we sent allot of their skis back, some after only a day or two of use.

also the boards that volant was making under a different name but had the same steel topsheet were complete junk I think they were aggression, a company that volant bought.

the topsheet on the volant gear was not bonded well to the rest of the board, after you stuff the nose or hit something it pops right off.

the skis did the same thing, high failure rate, others though would last forever but I suspect that these people don't ride much and take it easy when they are out on the hill.

I have this board about eight years with 40 days riding on it and it looks brand new. No topsheetproblems at all. The problems were just with the longer, bigger GS boards of Volant, I think it were the 172/173. But for now I have more fun with my SWOARD 168H. I have used my Volant once last year for sandboarding in Germany.

Greets, Hans.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through two Aggressions and then a steel-topped Volant in one season, they delaminated in 3, 4, and 1 day(s) of riding. Volant just kept sending replacements and telling me they'd never heard of that sort of thing happening with their boards (yes, three times in a row). :(

I went through two Aggressions and then a steel-topped Volant in one season, they delaminated in 3, 4, and 1 day(s) of riding. Volant just kept sending replacements and telling me they'd never heard of that sort of thing happening with their boards (yes, three times in a row). :(

Ouch. What length were the Volant?

I would have thought after the first time you might have been able to say when they said they hadn't heard before, you could say, yes you have from me!

Not exactly the ideal track record is it?