Note to New Members ×

Dubai Arena

pm_wizard

Did anyone catch the show last night (I think on Discovery) about the indoor slope in Dubai?

I missed the beginning, so I didn't get the stats on vert etc. but it was really interesting. The have even set parts of it so steep thay have an avalanche patrol and response team!

For $70 a day they rent a board, boots helmet and jacket... what a blast that would be. Only problem is they said that most of the clientele has never been on snow before..... on second thought...

John

This must be pretty new as I don't recall it being there the 3-4 times I've been there. The water park in Dubai is pretty cool as well. They have a tube system that shoots you uphill with these water jet streams. Fun stuff but there would definately be lawsuits in the US!

There's always the ski areas in Iran as well. Great thing about skiing in Muslim countries is you'll have the slopes to yourself during prayer calls!

;)

P.S. Here's the link to the indoor ski area.

The shots from inside were fascinating. They keep it t -8 to -10 Celsius, so there is a blizzard like fog across the hill. If you looked ahead rather than up, it looked like a hill!

If global woarming is really going to hit the smaller hills as hard as some people think, these things might make sense near large urban areas. Of the course the massive refrigeration is anything but good for the environment...

John

WOW. Ski Dubai is truly a "Modern Marvel." I'd carve a few turns there, given the opportunity.

It looks sliders aren't let anywhere near the ski slope without knowing how to stop, link turns, and control speed.

The snow is probably very consistent and predictable all day long.

Wierd, but I get the impression of night skiing in a snowstorm looking at the pictures. Funny that a lot of the pictures on the site are taken on real mountains under blue skies. :D

The TV show was really interesting, a lot of detail on how it was built and how it operates.

From looking at the web site, it must have only just opened. It showed the ski patrol team having a snow fight, and it all seemed to hold together in a nice packed granular sort of way.

With the idle chairlift above the fog, it looked kind of strange, like an early evening snowstorm in December.

I used to go through Dubai a lot in the years right after the first Gulf war. Things have really shanged since then.

John

Hey RDY_2_Carve,

what do you do over at Dubai? im actually interested in looking for employment there, do you have any connections? maybe we could go carve it up over there ;) what would you say 1.5 turn or 2 ?

I worked in Saudi Arabia for four years. Went to Dubai about 3-4 times for softball tournaments. I do know a couple Canadians that still live in Dubai but they are leaving soon from what I understand. I wouldn't mind living in Dubai at all; If I had my choice of places in the entire middle east Dubai would be it. It's pretty much the only muslim country that doesn't have it's head firmly planted up it's ass. Qatar and Bahrain would come in a close second...

Sorry but I'll take NM/CO snow over that any day...But if I'm ever back over there I would definately take a trip to that place for the experience of it.

Now if they would just put one of those (on a bigger scale) right in the middle of Koh-Samui Thailand I would know where I'm going to retire ;)

Well I don't know how bad the heat would be but the dust would be the biggest problem. I've seen numerous roads in the middle east with so much sand on them that I cringed at the thought of riding a sport bike on them. Not to mention the driving there is just insane. I wouldn't give Kurtis Roberts more than 2-3 hours without dying...

Yes Dubai is the hub for technology in the middle east. You will have no problem finding great techie jobs over there and it really is a nice place to be for the middle east. As long as you can bear 110+ Deg F with tons of humidity ;)

Dubai is quite the money mecca-a friend who's husband worked for Halliburton would meet him there-Halliburton pays very nice and it's tax free if you don't go home-

Anyway, she had stories about the amenities...

Actually, I've wondered if the logistics about indoor skiing would work down here---

My second career? God knows, I hate everything about medicine as practiced here in the US

They are beefing up their tourism industry substantially. Seems that their oil will run out in a couple decades so they are planning on tourism to carry them...

I believe the UAE is one of the biggest natural gas producers in the world as well.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the UAE. Any muslim country that allows other types of religion is fine by me. You wanna talk about bass-ackwards we can begin a discussion on Saudi Arabia!

Halliburton pays very nice and it's tax free if you don't go home-

you mean WE pay very well, since it is taxpayers money flowing through Halliburtons veins in a scary fashion, siphoned through no-bid contracts.

blech. ptooey.

sorry

dubai seems like vegas times 25 to me. bloated consumerism gone terribly awry.

that picture is creepy, no?

you mean WE pay very well, since it is taxpayers money flowing through Halliburtons veins in a scary fashion, siphoned through no-bid contracts.

blech. ptooey.

sorry

dubai seems like vegas times 25 to me. bloated consumerism gone terribly awry.

that picture is creepy, no?

Yeah, Vegas but 1000000 times wealthier. Instead of seedy cheap tackyness you get expensive gawdy tackyness. And I'm sure there are some nice places out side the tourist center and in near by costal cities. Also it's not too near, but Qatar seems like it would be a cool place to live, but no snow, not even the fake stuff :(.

I understand about the distaste for Halliburton-my friend John was in Iraq 1 month before the war started. That's when I knew Bush's UN/Congressional campaign was a dupe-John was already in country waiting for the troops to join him....

If our government didn't blow our tax dollars there, they'd blow it somewhere else....

My ex- works for them now...if it helps, look at it this way...maybe now I'll get my back child support

The shots from inside were fascinating. They keep it t -8 to -10 Celsius, so there is a blizzard like fog across the hill. If you looked ahead rather than up, it looked like a hill!

If global woarming is really going to hit the smaller hills as hard as some people think, these things might make sense near large urban areas. Of the course the massive refrigeration is anything but good for the environment...

John

More snowdomes than I thought. This thread engaged me in an indoor ski search. old info was at least 35 worldwide. 9 in Japan alone. first one in NA is Snowlab in Vegas and it should be open by now. Germany is working on one with a 600m vert.

and here I thought a snowdome was for shaking!