Note to New Members ×

Bootfitter etiquette

Daneille

I believe that the tip for the fitter would depend completely how well he satisfied your expectations. Did he (or she) make sure you were comfortable? Did he (or she) completely address your needs? Did he (or she) talk to you and listen during the fitting. Did he (or she) have a firm, yet gentle fitting process. a process that would result in making you swoon every time one of those arched-backed soulful turns is initiated and completed. So use your imagination when it comes to tipping, there is nothing that can compete with the mind when it comes to how well you are satisfied. This should be your guide when deciding how you should tip.

sorry...I just think tipping has gone too far. I love it when the sandwich "artist" at subway, who slops my sandwich together like I'd rather eat goulash than a sandwich, has a "tip jar" at the register.

edit

not saying a bootfitter is at the same level as a subway sandwich maker ;)

best tip for a boot fitter is a six pack.

It depends on many factors...

You don't tip[ the kid at ski market who sels you your boots, or puts an aftermarket insole into your boots. you don't tip the owner of the company.

Youtip depending on service. also not uncommon to come in after tyring the modifications out. if good, bring a six pack. if bad, demand more attention to the problem.

I'v always developed a working relationship with my bootfitters, making small adjustments over time so as to not overdo it and potentially affect the performance of the boot.

Guest Randy S.

What Noah said. Six pack always seems to be greatly appreciated by our local bootfitters. Either that or a small green bud. You'd be surprised how well they remember you and how far they're willing to go to make your boots perfect after a good six-pack. That's how I got my old Raichle Thermoflex liners baked for free.

The green bud idea is usually a big surprise and HUGELY appreciated. There aren't many people in ski areas who don't burn. :flamethro

I bought my Stratos Pros at RMS, had them thermo-fitted then, came back for an adjustment, and later a second adjustment, and never tipped. Bootfitting was part of the sale. I saw the actual bootfitter only once, when dropping off my boots for the second adjustment. I'm not about to tip in advance.

I guess if I come back for additional adjustments, I'll consider tipping because I'm being a pain in the ass.

heck...I can do the six pack thing!

when I had my liners molded at Skjersaas (sp) in Bend, the guy who did it was an arrogant prick, and was snotty and condescending to me. he also just slapped the **** together, clearly not caring whatsoever. charged me $30 for it, too.

so...after a couple weeks, when they still didnt feel right, I went back and made him do them again. he was snotty once again, and constantly belittling the guys he was working with, too.

definitely not even six pack worthy! but Im all for sharing a beer or five with cool people who dont treat me like Im a beginner right off the bat

Guest dragon fly jones

Tips are appreciated always from a stock pick to a sick new line to ride to just plain old cash.

There was a point above that you don't take care of the owner or sales person. That is a basic tenet. However when some delivers a personal service it should be rewarded. I have been fortunate to have gotten the aforementioned cash, food, a ride home and so much beer that I had to give most of away and along with that some well deserved recognition. Normally the boot fit is just part of the job at ski or board shop and there are good and bad fitters.

I hold the belief that if the service is well done and you appreciate it, you should go the extra mile just like the provider and show some appreciation in whatever form you choose. That would be the tip.

Another point was made that tipping is being over done, I do agree with that, Subway - but that tip to a more than likely minimum wage worker would be even more appreciated. If they are making you comfortable, changing a tire, driving you from the airport or serving you food you should tip. Not that I have a gang of money, but I know what a finski can do for a person and that appreciation after dealing with stinky feet, jackasses with crazy demands and being under paid (even if it was by choice working in a service industry) a little something goes a long way. You bring your woman or man a little something something why not extend that to someone who cares (even if it is the job) for you and what your needing to make your life easier and maybe just a touch more fulfilling.

My bootfitting will cost me 40.00 per hour ... and more if any boot work (grinding, stretching, etc.) wil be required. I really doubt I'll be tipping. Wouldn't be suprise if I see "15% gratuity included" or something on my recepit.

That said, if the man does a good job, I won't mind.

We here in the states have a different attitude towards tipping than I've seen elsewhere. In Germany a restuarant proprieter was IMO being exceptionally gracious over a period of days, taking great care of my son and I, and so I wanted to show my appreciation at the end of our stay. He seemed offended by my tipping him! :confused: When someone significantly exceeds my base expectation I want to let them know it meant something to me. At a "subway" type situation they would have to build me one heck of a sandwich or whatever to merit anything.

One time when hang gliding at Chelan I landed out and needed to catch a lift back to town because our chase crew was headed the other direction. A nice local gave me a ride. I tried to give him a few bucks but he resisted. Then I said "look at it this way, guy... these bucks equal 2 sixpacks, and this ride was definitly worth that to me." He accepted when put in those terms.

He seemed offended by my tipping him! :confused:

He may well have been, tipping is by and large an American thing and to a lesser extent a Canadian thing. Here in Canada we tip waitstaff and that's about it. In the US it seems like every person in a service industry of any sort expects a tip, it's ridiculous.

very, very ridiculous. especially when youve worked somewhere where tips are part of your income, become expected, and then people get petty about it. real petty, bitchy...its disgusting.

the point made above is reasonable..compensation for above and beyond service, but...fact is...thats your job, and you should do it well each and every time and only expect to get paid the negotiated rate.

Guest dragon fly jones

What would you then pay for a professional boot fit? 40 50 100 dollars? A flat fee? An add on for getting the boots? What are the thoughts on that? Something like a tune up for a car? No not really a tune up is say 150 plus labor so think of the labor part as a tip.

DFJ

personally I think that a lot of the services in the ski industry are overpriced. I probably wouldnt pay $100, definitely not $150. Im lucky enough to not have fit problems really...just normal feet I guess, that dont give me much trouble

but...I think you misunderstood me.

if I go to a bootfitter, and he says $40 an hour...whatever...thats what I will pay. Im not all that keen on adding something on top of it. I think that for that pre-negotiated amount I should get 100% service and not have to "sweeten the pie"

not to say I havent before.

oh, and...if I buy a pair of $300-$400+ boots from someone, honestly I think they should be able to fit them for me correctly at no charge. thats a damn lot of money.

any case...once again Im spouting off and I apologize. you asked:)

I think the original question's been answered, and "a six pack" is a good one

I agree with you, D. $300-$400 for a pair of boots IS a lot of money, and one of the reasons that you go to a reputable outfit and buy them there is the service that comes with them. Otherwise you'd go to Sport Chek (I dunno what the US equivalent is) and save your $$$, if you just wanted some 16 year old to sling them in a bag and send them home with you.

If I was at a full service shop then for sure, I'd make them work them until they were perfect. That's what I paid for. And most of these places you do pay a premium, so get the money's worth, I say.

During my shop tenture....tips ranged from 2 years of whining up 2 weeks at the resort of your choice. It really depends on the customer's past situation and how I (or the other guys) dealt with it.

Tips are based upon experience. It's standard not to tip. However, if the fitter isn't the owner, certainly more appropriate to shell out to show your appreciation.

k