Note to New Members ×

Roof Rack Options

RDY_2_Carve

Anybody here use Yakima roof rack products? In particular the ones that use the Q tower system for cars w/o OEM rails. Supposedly these systems are not very intrusive to your vehicle and do a good job.

My RSX-S is just not cutting it for hauling snowboards inside. My 173RT is pretty much at my gear shifter which drives me crazy. Not to mention that I would like to eventually get 180+ boards which will be up on my dashboard. A roof rack system is about the only way I'm going to transport that big of a board on my RSX-S. I was interested in the trailer hitch type of board racks but I'd have to get some serious custom work done on my car to weld a hitch on it.

Obviously I'd like to do the least intrusive thing possible. Who has used these types of systems? Anything bad you can say about them? Did they ding up your paint, etc?

Why didn't I just buy that ugly Element? :mad:

I had the Q-towers on my Volvo. The polyurethane pads contact your paint so the possibility of marring exists. I don't really remember if there were marks on my Volvo. It was a family beater so I didn't care. The key is, keep the pads clean and clean the area of your car where they make contact before mounting them.

There are also these racks that sit on your hatch. They clip on with straps. I think Yakima makes those too.

I'd definitely look into some sort of trunk system, in my opinion....I know you don't have a hitch receiver but I love my bike rack that converts to a board/ski rack-also Yakima. I've heard on people having their gear fly off the tops of their cars with those roof racks ("Did I lock the latch down? DOH")

I can't agree with Skatha - I hated my rear ski rack on the jeep. The problem with those is that your boards will collect all the dirt from the drive to the resort. Basically when you get back home - tired as you are - you'll have to start cleaning the boards so that they won't rust.

I ended up buying a roof rack system for my Wrangler.

I can't comment on the Q tower system (I got factory installed roof rack now on my Passat). But once you get a system - get a Yakima or Thule box for it. Might be more expensive than regular ski or snowboard racks. But your gear stays clean and you can also use it in the summe for other gear...

Hagen.

I once had a Yakima Rocketbox open at 120km/h on a highway. Not a pretty sight. Luckily, my boards and skiis were strapped in inside the box. The top of the box though - it exploded into pieces. It was early morning so we were fortunate that there was light traffic only. I inspected the box and found that one of the latches was still locked and attached to the bottom half, the other was gone. So, somehow I had forgotten to lock one of the latches. Since then, I replaced the box with a Thule unit that has a much more reliable and idiot-proof locking mechanism. The Thule box is much, much better than the Yakima. Easier to use, easier to attach, more secure.

One downside to boxes - they are a real pain to store. Especially the big ones.

Have to agree with skategoat there - Thule boxes are pretty much idiot proof.

For the one that I have you only need to unlock one lock to open it (the one master lock locks the box in three places). And you can't close it without locking it. And you can open it from both sides (master lock on both sides). That really helps when you mount/unmount the box.

One more advise - buy everything for your roof rack system from one company. That way you can get matching locks - I only need one key for all the components that I got for my Thule system (cross bars, bike rack, box and snowboard racks).

Hagen.

Hagen, I would NEVER take my babies anywhere without a proper cover. We'd get off the hill, load our gear, wrap a bottom tarp and a top tarp, secure with bungee cords...takes about 10 minutes...

Of course, we get lots of stares....It kinda looks like that scene in Vacation with Aunt Edna....in fact, that's what we call it when we are in public....

I've had the Q towers on a couple of cars. Never had a problem with fit or damage to the paint finish. Both times they were installed by the rack outfitters who do this day in and day out. Yakima versus Thule? Basic racks seem comparable, but seems easier to get boxes and other attachments for Thule (in Canada anyways). I also tend to see more used Thule stuff.

:rolleyes: Sorry, but I am going to coat tail onto your thread as I have a similar question:

I have an Infiniti G35 coupe and need a roof rack. Apparently, only Saris makes a rack that will fit, but I don't know anything about Saris racks. Anyone have any experience with Saris roof racks? Anyone had another type of rack on a G35 coupe (that will take snowboards)?

Thanks for any feedback!

Saris makes quality racks. I had a rack from them once and it was really nicely built. Sort of oval shaped for aerodynamics. Very quiet.

Hey, you gonna take a 280 horsepower, rear-wheel drive sports car and turn it into a board hauler?

I have a good used 1989 325iX for you instead. Cheaper than a tune-up on your Infiniti.

We have Yakima roof racks (lift ticket 6) on our Xterra. Besides the mightymounts that I had to get from Nissan they are great!. First I bought thule to find out they don't fit the x-bars since xterra has really thick ones.

When it comes to price I think Yakima is a better deal. For lift ticket 6 with all the mounting brackets (for factory cross bars - round or square), screws and skilift (two raisers - that bring one side of the rack up if you need more clearance) - $120, where similar thule (725 6pr) is $120, plus the fat mouth clamps $39 :(

-matt

road dirt is your enemy, and the salts are even worse

a couple of my friends have started keeping their gear in their car untill a box is in the budget.

YES, GET A BOX, PERIOD, if you value your snowboard that bad. I wouldn't even think of gettin' 'em in the rack without a box. Those items mentioned by bobdea are real real bad and can downgrade yoru board a great deal. there was an article on this in early 90s TWS zine. Old info, sure, but it carries its merits.