Note to New Members ×

O'Sin Swallow Tail 4807

bumpyride

Sorry for not replying more regularly, I'm in the middle of many grad school assignments.

Indeed, I am a lightweight, only 135 pounds, and I ride the 178! No, don't give me any crap :nono:, I've been riding for years and race on a Rossi World Cup 182, which I can handle well. ;) But I'll admit that I probably should be on a 168 O'Sin 4807. Nonetheless, I got a great deal and enjoy the board in the pow.

Here's a 4807 for cheap:

http://www.geartrade.com/browse/116/792/477/item/30206

I'm 5'11" 200lbs and ride a...well...I ride a frankenstien type pow board- a RS Emery 161.

A buddy and I cut a swallow tail into it, removing about 10 cm effective edge and plenty more surface area. I mounted the bindings as far back on the inserts as I could and I have had a great time on the board. It's a 151 with the same edge as a 161. It floats well and is incredible in the trees here in the east (tight). Too fast, just stomp on that back foot a little...trim, right Bordy? (BTW- you know Cattanach?)

A little OT, but my point is that the size hasn't been a problem for me yet.

-KC

The 178 is not hard to get. Salty Peaks has a bunch of them. However, if anyone has a good condition 168 and wants to trade for my 178, I'll be happy to do it. Mine only has a couple days on it, only used in pow at Snowbird and Brighton, no scratches, and with my lightweight, practically nil effect on the camber, so a trade would have to be comparable. Act fast, as I plan to send it in for the swallowtail mod soon! :D

You guys are really messin with me :smashfrea I have a 178 and now Im wondering if I should have the 168. Why would I want the 68? tell me so I dont have to get another one.

Im 5-10 180 and usually only get to ride it when I go out west like aka Crested Butte Feb2 this year. Forget about it here in the land of ice cube riding.

Too fast, just stomp on that back foot a little...trim, right Bordy? (BTW- you know Cattanach?)

-KC

Yep Cattanach and I are old friends. He's a great Cat, and lots of fun to make turns with. If you see him tell him and Sonya(we went to high school together) I said hello. And he needs to spend more time in hardboots!

And as far as trim goes yep, its' the ability to control planing depth by using fore and aft weight shifts to control speed. On a super deep day you can lean foward on a short board sinking the nose and creating drag and increasing control by using the nose as a brake you can slow down while still having the ability to turn quickly with the nose pressured. Some thing that can be very hard on a longer board. I find at my weight (165-175) any thing bigger then a 170 with a lot of surface area in the front is to much stick to control depth. On boards with a tail that sinks you can also stomp the back foot like you said at slower speeds, its also great to just set your hip when your on the tail and pivot around stuff with laser like results! Some thing a swallow tail doesn't do as well as a pintail, and I have broken one side of the tail off many times tring to make the pivot turns on swallows.:eek:

Jeff, If you can not find some one to do your tail for cheap bring it to me I'll make it happen for ya. Also I know Fast Eddie has a 164 in the wrapper he may trade you out for it and he is local. Of course you are always welcomre to anything in my quiver to play with! :biggthump

Some time the most fun sticks are the ones you have a hand in creating!

Plus you are more likley to force yourself to learn to ride the board well, even if you may not like it at first since you made it!

I picked up a new 168 over the summer. New meaning never used, not a new model this year. It had been sitting at a shop for a couple of years. It was the only size they had and I really wanted one.

I would much rather have a 178. I'd be happy to trade... if someone is really serious about it.

Tom

I had the Fish, and after reading all of the above, the only intelligent thing to do is buy the O'sin, so that's what I did. I figure my own style, which tends to be sharp quick turns wherever I am, is going to dictate the board I will like best, but you never know.

Thanks to all for the various takes on the different boards, but for not much money, I can afford to try to O'sin, so I'll give all your styles a shot.

Utah in late Feb.

Will do. I believe it's going to be the week of the 24th of Feb. Will have a good sized crew going down. Mostly skiers and my Kid (36). 3 of us are pretty much down for just about anything. The others, I'm not sure of. Anything fun and steep.

Will do another thread just before we go. Any suggestions on off piste stuff and which areas are the best. So far from what I've heard Snowbird is the best, but I haven't been there as of yet. We'll be staying in Sandy or Union I think. Suggestions on that would be appreciated also.

Thanks

Fischer

You should really spend at least 1 day at Snowbasin or Powder mtn. Some of Utah's best terrain and snow for freeriding! The Bird is epic on any day and a trip to Utah would not be cpmplete with out a day there! Brighton has some great back country and Sundance is on of the secert quiet cruiser spots. On the back side of the range the Canyons has the best back country but its all out side the gates and should only be explored if you have the right gear and knowledge. Park City is not only the home of the Hardbooter crew because it has the best alpine riding in the state but it also has tons of fun freeriding spots all inbounds and patrolled. :biggthump

For your skiier friends Alta makes the Bird look like a begginers Mtn. and Deer Valley has the best grommers this side of the Mississippi but only if you have skiis on you feet :mad:

Hopefully we can hook up and make some turns some where.

lodging can be a tricky thing since all of the areas ore spread out on the range but there is plenty of it available from motel to 5 star. If you stay in the SLC area every thing is less then a hour away some as close as 30 minutes. It really hard to go wrong in Utah.