Note to New Members ×

Shin Bang

philistine

Last season was my first hardbooting season, and it was painful. I lost a toenail and sort of injured, or bruised my shin. The toenail wasn't a big deal, not painful at all, I was actually happier without it. However, my shin effing hurt. I've heard the term "shin bang" used on bomber every now and then, and that's the only term I can think of to use for this situation. What would happen is, the cuffs (topmost part of the boot) would dig into my shins. Exerting enormous amounts of pressure on the muscle there and (I think) bruising it badly, but there was no bruise. It hurt ALOT when this would happen, which was almost everytime I rode. When the season was over, it took nearly a month and a half to recover and walk normally.

This only happend to one leg, my left leg, and I ride regular.

Could this be because I have large calf muscles? my calfs are about 17 and a half inches in diameter. I realize that alot of other snowboarders also have large legs, so, I'm at a loss.

Why did my boots kill me last season?

I had shin bang my first year. I personally believe that, in my case, it was a matter of comittment in a turn. Being in the back seat disengages the edge causing chatter, which results in violent frequencies in the system.

I used tiger balm and mashed it into my tibialis medialis? your ski musckle on the front and outside of your tibia bone. You can visually ID this musckle :D by pointing your toes upwards while looking at your shin. ( opposite movement would be, say, standing on your toes. ) Again, it will be a commitment but you have to mash that musckle as hard as you can tolerate for results.

Dave

tilledog, I think you nailed it. I'm pretty sure it's bad technique that's killing my shins. "Violent frequencies" is a perfect way to describe the situation.

So, aside from not sucking, I need to mash tiger balm into my tibialis medialis during the season.

I can do it. Thanks for the tips

Have a boot fiter look at your boots and your shins. 80% of shin bang is caused by having your upper boot to loose. I know it seems like a pain to tighten your upper cuff when your shins aready hurt but you have to do it!

I had to talk Tille into it also.

I had shin bang my first year. I personally believe that, in my case, it was a matter of comittment in a turn. Being in the back seat disengages the edge causing chatter, which results in violent frequencies in the system.

I used tiger balm and mashed it into my tibialis medialis? your ski musckle on the front and outside of your tibia bone. You can visually ID this musckle :D by pointing your toes upwards while looking at your shin. ( opposite movement would be, say, standing on your toes. ) Again, it will be a commitment but you have to mash that musckle as hard as you can tolerate for results.

Dave

Tibialis Anterior - Yep, action that lifts the toes up (Dorsiflexion). Oh, and Tiger Balm ROCKS!

I was told the same thing several seasons ago: Tighten that upper cuff. Haven't really had the issue, at least not to the same extent, since using thermal liners.

Alright, I've got booster straps, and I've been using them, but probably not well enough. I need to buckle down and really tighten up my upper cuffs. I'm going to a boot fitter next weekend, and I am looking into getting a different board that will be more forgiving on my poor technique. I'm riding a 159 nidecker SL right now, and I'm 6'0 200lbs. So, maybe a larger board would be appropriate, but then again, maybe not. we'll see.

Thanks everyone!

Alright, I've got booster straps, and I've been using them, but probably not well enough. I need to buckle down and really tighten up my upper cuffs

One suggestion... if the boots feel too stiff after you do that, get the flex back elsewhere... such as loosening forward flex riding in powder mode or walk mode.

I'm going to a boot fitter next weekend, and I am looking into getting a different board that will be more forgiving on my poor technique. I'm riding a 159 nidecker SL right now, and I'm 6'0 200lbs. So, maybe a larger board would be appropriate, but then again, maybe not. we'll see.

Thanks everyone!

There are SL boards made for every weight. I personaly find SL boards and tight-turning FC harder to ride than longer boards, mistakes are more costly. IMHO flex and sidecut are more important than length when you're getting started... something with a friendly flex and a sidecut between 11 and 12 eters is what I would recommend. I'm not an expert or instructror, just suggesting what worked for me, I'm 195 pounds.

I was riding Burton Driver Step Ins a couple of seasons ago and I was suffering a lot of shin pain. I spoke to the doc and they reckoned the top of the cuff was rubbing on the shin. So I have switched to Le Mans Boots with a higher cuff to spread the load as it were. I have booster straps ready to fit too. These are all remedies to the problem but hide the problem itself.

I was also getting shin pain when running. Runners tend to get it after having time off from running. You need to break your shins in gently. I was told to go back to basics with a walk run program until the muscles had built up introducing more intensive running gradually. Administering ice to the shins also aids circulation.

I plan to do build my legs up prior to this season instead of shock loading them.

They do sell gel pads to slip down the from of your shins too. About £17 a pair I saw at a recent show.