Note to New Members ×

Best Longboard...

RobRidesSquaw

Yup. Loaded. I have a Loaded Pin, but hear the Vanguard is awesome too. Good things are said for Insect boards, which have a phenomenal build quality to them.

Loaded

Insect

Based upon my limited experience, and lots of hearsay(sp??), Loaded boards come closest to simulating the feel of a carving snowboard.

EDIT: I think there was a huge discussion about this a while back ... here

If you want to ride a little larger wheel try the Carveboard and/or the BMW street carver. I own a Carveboard (thanks again, Joel) and have riden the street carver on a few sessions. Both carve much like a snowboard.

I also have a Powell pele 48''. rides nice but I prefer the Carveboard.

Guest Ghostrider

I run the insect and I was amazed how much the alpine board riding style is needed. The massive camber in the board is where that feel comes from I think.

Excellent tool for working on cross over/under/through.. style turning in the summer time.

After going to the local shop and riding a vanguard around I think i have narrowed it down the the Vanguard and the Dragonfly. I am guessing that there aren't any places in the bay area to ride the dragonfly around but it does look really sick and well built. It looks very comparable to the vanguard.

Joecarve used to have one, although I think he sold it. The Dragonfly is much stiffer than the Vanguard, instead of a springiness you kind of get like more of a snappy-ness, like you need to really carve hard to decamber it and then it will pop back under you as you unweight the board. I rode Joecarve's Dragonfly and a Carbon fiber one in Seattle and both were too stiff for me at 150 lbs (although he will adjust it). Carbon fiber will nearly double the price of the board though.

For carving I like my Vanguard with Randals/Crails better, although I also own an Insect Sidewinder slalom board with RTX/RTS trucks and everyone who has borrowed it really likes it. I've also realized I don't like the return to center force curve on the Seismics for carving, for pumping they are pretty good though...

Check out what I thought about the Vanguard it is still my favorite.

Here..........

If you buy one from us we have super cool alpine guy deals.

Also my wife did a great little pin tail reveiw.

Here!

We have demo boards if you are in the SLC area ever!

If any one lives in the SLC area and want to demo some great action Give us a holler!

Maybe I will try to post it on the site. Shaggy shot some video of me Euro Carving the vanguard with hand sliders. Its the closes to snowboarding you can get!

Guest Randy S.

I have a Carveboard that I've ridden once. Lonerider has ridden it maybe 10 times. I'd be happy to sell it if anyone is interested. Make me an offer. Comes with pump and pressure guage.

Rob, if you want it, I'll even deliver it the next time I'm up in Tahoe.

Guest jschal01

The Tierney T-board feels the most similar to me hands-down due to the edge angle you can get. Also, while you can't really catch an edge, you can have it slide out and get a sideways slam, that may seem like a bad thing, but to me it makes it closer to snowboarding and therefore a good thing. The thing with traditional skateboards is that they slide before a wheel really catches to throw you sideways, this allows you to pump more powerfully than on a snowborad but makes the balance much more fore and aft as opposed to side to side.

The Landyachtz L'il Gaffer is also very nice if you can get over the narrow stance, just run it with very soft bushings.

Do you have a skatepark near you? Another great idea is simply a short board, pumping around a bowl is both great conditioning and great for timing of your pump/weight transfer, sort of like skateboarding spanish or german to your snowboarding english if you will.

I'm debating on setting up a Bruce Edwards model for sliding as I do enjoy the quiver thing and I really don't have a dedicated DH slider and don't want to slide my carving board :eek: (too long) or my pool board (too short)

I have a Gravity Brad Edwards 40" and I like it a lot, you can slide it very easily (unless you you want to do technical slides with multiple rotations) and just a bit longer than the standard 36" length slide deck to make you feel a little more secure when bombing downhills. Hills that used to be really steep for me are really mellow now that I can just throw in a slide anytime and bleed off a ton of speed.

For a pure sliding deck, you Gravity Pool 36" would be fine I think (so long as it lets you get a shoulder width stance), at least that's what I've read and have been told.

I have a Gravity Brad Edwards 40" and I like it a lot, you can slide it very easily (unless you you want to do technical slides with multiple rotations) and just a bit longer than the standard 36" length slide deck to make you feel a little more secure when bombing downhills. Hills that used to be really steep for me are really mellow now that I can just throw in a slide anytime and bleed off a ton of speed.

For a pure sliding deck, you Gravity Pool 36" would be fine I think (so long as it lets you get a shoulder width stance), at least that's what I've read and have been told.

the problem i have with my 36 pool is that while its awesome for bowls and pools it's to big for my daily mini ramp fare (what I have right now) and too short to DH stuff. I'm looking forward to having regular access to a real park (Wash St & Groton) I'll probably wait on the B.E. until I get to the east coast and see what the hills are gonna be like but it's fun to mentally work out a quiver...for now I play on my NK Canadian Beast 34"x8.5 popsicle

The Tierney T-board feels the most similar to me hands-down due to the edge angle you can get. Also, while you can't really catch an edge, you can have it slide out and get a sideways slam, that may seem like a bad thing, but to me it makes it closer to snowboarding and therefore a good thing. The thing with traditional skateboards is that they slide before a wheel really catches to throw you sideways, this allows you to pump more powerfully than on a snowborad but makes the balance much more fore and aft as opposed to side to side.

The Landyachtz L'il Gaffer is also very nice if you can get over the narrow stance, just run it with very soft bushings.

Do you have a skatepark near you? Another great idea is simply a short board, pumping around a bowl is both great conditioning and great for timing of your pump/weight transfer, sort of like skateboarding spanish or german to your snowboarding english if you will.

I have been skating a little this summer, but i love the feel of carving at speed. The skateboard does help pumping, it really really helps boardercross training i think.

THe landyachtz is sick, i was looking at the 9 ply evo with randalls and gumballs but again, the loaded looks like more of a carver. I may be wrong though.

Guest dragon fly jones

Um ever hear about a fad called snowboarding, it's just like skating but on snow. You use bindings attached to the board, like something called Bomber Bindings or Slaytecks or hopro's or Jokeahhs. And you use them on SNOW not pavement, tarmac or concrete.

I hope most have a sense of humor even though this may or may not be funny. If the humor is lost, find it.

Like Alex said above, I think wheels and trucks are HUGE factors in a skateboard's carve-ability - maybe even more than the deck. If you're only familiar with conventional trucks (Tracker, Gullwing, etc), then borrow a board with Seismics, and one with Randals, and see how they feel. And bear in mind that they're both available with different angles (very similar to different sidecuts on snowboards). I switched over to Seismics completely, except for one drop-thru board (Kebbek JimZ) that needs Randals.

FWIW, I have a 40" Gravity Brad Edwards as well, but I find it too flexy. I can feel the kicktail sag when I lean back a bit... so I replaced it with a Comet Park 40" which has similar dimensions but is super stiff. That makes me happy. I think Comet makes the same board under a different name now.