Note to New Members ×

help me pick a board...

heatzig

Thanks to a forum member, I now have a pair of Deeluxe Suzuka boots...now I need a board/bindings setup. My only real carving experience was thanks to Bordy in PC who loaned me a F2 Silberfiel (172 I think). i loved the board until it snowed and then my riding fell apart. I am going to buy 1 board this season and a couple of people have suggested a Donek Axis 177. I want the same carving ability as the F2, although I know I barely tapped into it's true potential during my limited time in PC, but want something that will be more forgiving in the crud and powder so I can keep up with my kids on skis. I need help with board selection and bindings, although I am thinking TD2s would be fine for me. I am 6.1 and 190.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Also, how is Big Sky compared to PC ?

I agree with Jack, the Axis is a great choice. Although I am going to suggest the 172 more strongly than Jack did. I found the flex of the 172 very friendly for getting up to speed as a carver, the 177 is noticably stiffer (I took a demo run or two on one) and it feels more like a pure alpine board to me. The 172 is great for me in that it rides like an alpine board on hardpack and then rides more like a freeride board in the powder. I weigh 195 and so you'd likely have a similar experience. You would lose a little high-speed stability on the 172 vs the 177, and the 177 would probably perform better in slushy conditions but if you're going to have just one carving board for all conditions, at your weight, I suggest the 172.

I mount my Axis 172 with TD2 bindings, I strongly recommend the yellow e-rings with the Axis, especially if you use step-ins, and especially with a stiffer boot like the Suzuka.

BTW I am notorious for beating the crap out of my equipment (despite the fact that many on this forum are way better riders than I am) and my Axis 172 is still hanging in there after 120 riding days, which for me is an eternity. Only recently has it shown signs of losing its pop.

But I totally love my F2 Silberpfiel. I'm sure I'll get gunned down by the guys above for even mentioning it, but I've had mine for 3 seasons now and have ridden it in all kinds of conditions and think it's a great all around board. I admit my experience is limited (4 years on plates) and have yet to experience a Donek (although I'd love the chance to try one) but don't be so quick to discount the F2. Just my 2 cents,

Have fun,

Paul

BTW I'm 6'2" 195, so our dimensions are very similar.

Havig only ridden the f2, I have little experience to base my buying decision on. I appreciated everybody's input. Sounds like the Axis 172 or 177 may meet my needs a little better than the F2. As long as I can make moderate speed, laid down carving turns on the Axis and then punch through some chewed up powder with ease, then I would be happy. Now, where can I find a nice used Axis ??

Any thoughts on Big Sky vs. PC ? My only opportunity to go is Christmas week as my kids' spring break isn't until 3/24 and that may be too late (if not, I'll go then too !). I dont want the PC crowds, but don't know anything about Big Sky