Note to New Members ×

Newbie still can't decide!

Alex Walters

The time draws near for me to order my new hardboot setup. For boots I'll probably go with Lemans and TD2's for bindings. But I have yet to decide on a board. I previously made a thread on this very subject at the end of last season and thought I'd decided on the Donek Axis but the lure of a full on carve machine like a freecarve or race board is too great so I'm freally drawn towards the Donek Freecarve II. I know the Axis would be a great board but again I find the freecarve more appealing. I know that becuase this is going to be my only board for a while the Axis would be better becuase of it's all around capabilities but I'm not too sure I really need that option. I do ride all over the mountian with softboot friends on occation BUT I almost never encounter powder and if I do it's usually only a foot or two so power isn't a big issue. I would be riding the board all day so the worst conditions I'd encounter would be ungroomed choppy snow and/or ice. My problem is that I have no idea how miserable I'd be on a freecarve board when snow conditions get less than perfect and how much better an Axis would perform on those conditoin. But again the worst conditions I regularly ride in is end of day chopped up snow and/or ice. I have a crappy camberless dryed out gouged out base freeride soft setup that I could use on the days where snow conditions get really bad for carving so I guess I could fall back on that but on some of the trips I'm going on that board won't be an option. I've gone through the pros and cons of both the Axis and the Freecarve in my head many times but I just can't come to a conclusion. I know the Axis would be a great board for me and I'm fairly sure a Freecarve II would work fine but I just don't know how poorly a Freecarve II would perform in the conditions I ride and how much better the Axis would be.

I pretty much only ride full-on race boards, unless we have a serious pow dump. I ride all over the mountain, cliffs, tables, halfpipe, you name it, and I wouldn't ride anything else Trust me, you're not losing anything by getting the freecarve.

Guest FlyinSolo

rode a demo axis last year for a few days, in pretty much all conditions. 182. thing was. bad. ass.

carved like a beast, stable as hell on takeoff and landing, and handled great in about 12" of fresh AND the cut up stuff

highly recommended board, although it was a bit long for the trees where I was at. made me a little nervous there.

Donek offers free demos and often sends people two boards so they can figure out which model they want (you are definitely not the first person to have these questions). I strongly suggest you try before you buy - you'll amaze your parents at your ability to have snowboards magically appear at your doorstep for free!

Call/email Sean Martin at Donek (www.donek.com) - he probably knows best since he designed the boards himself. Tell him about yourself and where you ride, he should be able to suggest some boards and setup the demos.

Sean himself has said the Axis is not really made for powder (the Prior 4WD is much more in that direction). It is made to be ridden on non-groomed snow (choppy, icy, bumps, etc...) whereas the Freecarve is designed primarily for well groomed snow (note that freecarve and race are different). Not that you can't ride the Freecarve off-piste, but because it is so stiff and lively a majority of people don't like riding it in choppy, rutted snow (I know a bunch of riders who switch off their Donek Freecave/Race boards in the afternoon, once the groomers get sloppy under the Californian Sun). Prior boards (like Jim's WCR) are softer and damper, and so can be ridden in less than ideal snow conditions. My Madd 170 is also very damp and so I ride it in all conditions except powder (with a 18cm waist, it is *terrible* for powder... I've tried it, don't do it :) )

Just a thought--how 'bout going to the SES and demo-ing some boards????

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy both freecarve and axis instead of going to SES ?

In groomed and perfect conditions I ride my Virus ONLY. But! once it's powder, choppy or bumps then AXIS is what I ride :biggthump

Before gettin the virus I tried my axis on perfect grooms too and it carves really really good. (never had a freecarve though, so I can't comment on that one)

I got a donek freecarveII 4 years ago as my first *real* carving board. It still kicks my ass unless I'm really on top of it and the groom is good.

Probably has to do with the fact that I'm too lazy to really learn to ride it, but my all-mtn carver (coiler) is a whole lot more enjoyable and forgiving. Call me a wimp (or something worse...). It's about having fun and I think that the Axis would be more fun for a while.

Demoing really is the answer though. Doneks demo program makes choosing the wrong your own fault for not trying them all...

Mark

Guest Randy S.

How big are you? How long have you been snowboarding?

IMO, you can ride a Freecarve anywhere in any conditions. I've even ridden one in powder (move the bindings all the way back). The II is a bit wider and therefore has more float in deeper/softer snow. I have a FC1 171 that is my every day carver. I ride it more than any other board in my quiver. Yes, it will submarine in deep pow, but we don't get that too often around here anyway.

What length are you considering? The new 167 (or is 168?) is a great size. If you want to come up to Tahoe in early season, I'm sure someone up here can let you ride theirs (Dane Anderson has a few, as does his Modesto friend Scott Ferrell). I'd let you ride mine, but it probably wouldn't be much of a sample since it is getting old now and is very well used. Plus its the narrower one.

For a long time I only had one board in my quiver. It was a Burton FP 178. Similar in size to the FCII. I rode it everywhere in every condition. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Freecarve. Don't get a Race board unless you are really strong and carve super hard. You have to be totally on top of them to carve them properly. The only Donek Race board I've tried that I love is my 210.

Welcome to the fold.

your ability to use a carving board in POW is as much a factor of the boards length and your weight as it is the shape/style/stiffness. I rode a RC175 last year (thank you Bobby Buggs) including one day of epic powder (we got 3 feet during the day on top of 2-3 feet from the night before) I set the bindings back about 1 1/2", rode flat (no heel lift) and had a blast (though it was very hard work). I would try out Donek's demo system though since they offer it...if you go with a stock board you can have your board shortly after the Demo

I got a donek freecarveII 4 years ago as my first *real* carving board. It still kicks my ass unless I'm really on top of it and the groom is good.

Probably has to do with the fact that I'm too lazy to really learn to ride it, but my all-mtn carver (coiler) is a whole lot more enjoyable and forgiving. Call me a wimp (or something worse...). It's about having fun and I think that the Axis would be more fun for a while.

Demoing really is the answer though. Doneks demo program makes choosing the wrong your own fault for not trying them all...

Mark

Get the Axis and ride the snot out of it. These boards are build to be hammered on.Good gear is important, but challenging yourself and pushing your own limits will make you a better rider and make carving much more fun.ALEX, you said "My problem is that I have no idea how miserable I'd be on a freecarve board when snow conditions get less than perfect and how much better an Axis would perform on those conditoin."You Cali guys have it way to easy.This isn't figure skating.Come to the Ice Coast and carve like you're playing hockey.I rode Seans Axis 172 at ECES and I'd get one based on the 10 runs I took on it.Wear the skirt UNDER your ski pants.

I have both... well almost, I have an Axis 182 and a FC1 171.

Talk to Sean, definitely. See if he will demo. That would be great but I don't know the depth of his demo fleet. At least will have some recommendations after talking with him a while.

My opinion is get the Free Carve. I ride my Free Carve more than any other board in my quiver. Gates or freeriding, groomed or not, bumps or trees, this board can pretty much do it all.

My $.02

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest the Axis. I actually prefer the Axis (172 in my case) to the FC (163 and 171) even for carving-only days. I find the flex pattern to be friendlier. I found the FC to feel a bit stiff in the middle for my tastes... great if I am flooring it 100% of the time but kicks my @$$ when it gets icy or bumpy.

But yeah, try Donek's demo-by-mail program and see for yourself.

I agree with Mike. I have ridden both the Axis and the Freecarve for over two seasons. On perfect corduroy, I like 60+ angles, but on anything else I like having more heel/toe authority for easier edge control. For me this means binding angles in the high 40's to low 50's. So if I had to choose only one it would be the Axis, based on board width and my size 10.5 (28) feet.

This is also the reason I like the Swoard so much.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy both freecarve and axis instead of going to SES ?

In groomed and perfect conditions I ride my Virus ONLY. But! once it's powder, choppy or bumps then AXIS is what I ride :biggthump

Before gettin the virus I tried my axis on perfect grooms too and it carves really really good. (never had a freecarve though, so I can't comment on that one)

And miss out hanging with the homies?????? Somethings you can't put a price tag on....

Steve, you need to tell us more about the Swoard. Either here or in another thread. BTW, are the new Virus made swoards out?

Hey Kamran - I'm not experienced enough to make a real comparison, but to me it's lightweight, easy to ride in most conditions (like the Axis), but holds on better when tilted way up on the edge. Almost like a wider, lighter, less stiff Freecarve. At least it feels that way. Not sure if the Virus models are out yet.

Mike, I forgot, are you in Bend now? I'm hoping to get up there and ride with Doug and Carol Dryer this season, maybe we should have an OES (O=Oregon) :biggthump

Thanks Danielle. Although I think it'll take more than one season before the Swoard fans can get these boards and test them properly, giving us some indication as how much better (or worse :freak3: ) these new Swoards are. Not all the new board generations improve in quality (and I'm not going to name a brand here as an example cause I don't wanna get :flamethro )