Note to New Members ×

Sims Burners in stock

RJ-PS

OK, that was probably the rudest way to get people to look at this post, but I need some help on this.

I got a carver interested in getting a Sims Burner in the 197cm, and have heard similar inquiries.

My question is how many of you would seriously consider paying for one if I can get a few shipped into the US.

I have no idea of prices and am not even sure if it's possible, but I want to know if it would even be worth my time to try to get that information.

As far as I recall they are being made under license from Sims in Japan (actually China manufacturing), at least a couple of years ago they were. With the cost to ship something that long, even with extra charges I don't think it will go DHL or UPS, and not FedEx and the duty and brokerage, it's probably more cost effective to get some made by Prior. He made all of Fawcett's boards when he rode for Sims anyway. And you won't get a stick with offset inserts, like so many of the Sims factory boards.

My $0.02 (Cdn), your experience may vary :cool:

I spent some time on google.co.jp last night, and I couldn't find any Japanese stores currently stocking the burner, which was not the case the last time I looked into this. Hasco, the company that owned the Japanese rights to Sims/Japanese distributor, no longer has a Sims section on their Web site.

Don't know if it's just out of season or if the Burner is no longer sold in Japan either. Last time I saw them new in Japan though, they were very expensive: I think well over $800. Once you get to that rarified territory, you're looking at boards by Tinkler, Madd, or custom Priors/Doneks/Coilers...so...never having ridden one myself, I have to ask: are Burners really in that performance league?

On a side note, there were lots of false positives in the searching because Salomon apparently has a board called the Burner now. Isn't that infringement?

Yo RJ-PS

There was a company in Japan called Hasco that was selling Burners up until 2002/2003 under the Sims license. There was even the Burner club which went away around 2003 or at least until their website went down.

I lived Japan for about 3.5 years and had hoped to find some longer Burners to bring back to LA with me. There were the ocassional few on Yahoo Japan Auctions (more popular than Ebay there) but the prices were insane (over $500) even for damaged or heavily used boards.

There were a few in the SKI-Snowboard Distrct of Tokyo (Jimbocho) on the sales racks. Mostly 167 and 162 lengths.

I gave up on the Burners and went after Japanese boards (Gray and Moss) and Nideckers.

The Burners are definitely cool boards and I love my Austrian made 167. Would agree with others posting here that if you have to spend $600 - $800 for an older Burner, I would rather put my money into a newer custom board.

Shipping would also probably be a pain. FYI - Shipping used boards through Customs would be easier than new ones.

My 2 Yen

Tom

It would be interesting to see how many guys that had the split tail (188 and 197?) versions broke them, and of those that didn't how much they weigh.

I loved the board, but it only lasted me about 4-5 days on the hill.

If I had the money, and Bruce was taking orders, I'd ask him to make a split-tail Coiler with the adjustable aluminum pieces that support the tail.

MT

The 197cm that became the "SES 2005 Event" board was broken by a friend of mine. He is a big guy and pulled the inserts loose on the front binding set in an accident. Seemed like a good use for this damaged board. Got to love the sticker ! Classic guy joke. I have owned 5 Burners and have yet to hurt one. However I don't "Jump" them, and I have been lucky not to take a mean "Beater" , which seems to be the most common method of snapping or tweaking the tail.

See if you can find your signature!!

Thanks again everyone for signing it. Great reminder of a great week!