Note to New Members ×

The Rant

Did anyone here see the original Rant?  I deleted it after 149 views but apparently it made some impressions.

This is the sanitized version for public consumption.  Boring.  Some good previously unreleased footage here but way too much self-indulgent blathering on for me...

• Like 1

I would like to hear some comments regarding how significant the environment is to really progress and excel. Vertical, pitch, groom and type of snow has to have a tremendous impact aside from daily access to ride.

The repeated visual display of a turn registers more than reading text but there is room for both.

I would also like to see you slow down a series of turns and overlay audio descriptions of exactly what is happening mechanically. I was told many years ago to just put the board on edge but it wasn’t until watching videos that I realized it should be done  at the transition moving across the pitch rather than during the first part of the turn when starting to move towards the fall line.

Looking forward to more content and thanks for sharing the secrets.

• Like 1

I would like to see the original one 🙂
Raw human emotion without filtering in the right context can be a beautiful thing.
authenticity comes to mind.
Often especially on inter web:  people glance and don't really read/take the time to digest what was "ask".  or maybe i am just a tiny bit pedantic.

The ask - 
James put up a different version of the rant video than what was shared above.
James took it down because Friend reach out due to concerns of language/"hubris" and etc.
hence it's call original because it's different.  original version was viewed 143 times and we are unlikely to view it in the original form (director cut). 
How many ppl saw the "original" version? - was the ask

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

TLDW

Think of it as an audio podcast and listen in the car.  The footage was just 'cause.  I was gonna throw together a few minutes and put it on a loop but it turned out I had almost 40 minutes of previously unreleased video so I didn't have to repeat as much as expected.

9 hours ago, Chouinard said:

I would also like to see you slow down a series of turns and overlay audio descriptions of exactly what is happening mechanically.

Like this?

8 hours ago, pow4ever said:

I would like to see the original one 🙂

Well I haven't even assessed all the damage from the fallout and backlash due to the original rant yet...  So maybe soon. 

What's with the rest of your post?  You need a better AI content generator, this one is talking itself in circles.

5 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Why so wide at your 8.5 foot size?

Because I'm booting out of course.  My style lends itself to extra boot out potential and I don't want to change it if I can just get a wider board and lower profile bindings to solve the problem. 

Other styles don't require so much underhang: Jordan Michon rides the same widths as me in size 12 boots, Lars Hostmann rides 270mm waists on size 9 boots.  Yet other styles require even more underhang: Ryan Knapton rides 320-340mm waists at size 8!

Edited by crackaddict

Interesting. How are you booting out with sizeable board underhang? Maybe that’s what I don’t understand.

With hard boots I thought it’s generally accepted that boots/bindings vertical over the board edge is sufficient to avoid bootout. I’ve never heard anyone say that underhang is required. Is there some difference with soft boots that requires underhang? 

Like I said, I went wide as possible to experiment with low angle carving while in a BX type stance. Here’s 15f -6r I believe (maybe -3r?), and the camera angle is over the toeside here which makes heelside look like slightly more overhang than it really is. On carpet with this stance, I have to put the board at about 85 degrees before heel or toe just starts to touch — and we get more allowance than that on snow of course (it’s not like any drag is a problem).

At 30f 15r, I probably have about a half-inch or more of underhang space over toe and heel on my front foot, little less on my rear. Assuming you’re similar, that’s still giving you bootout??

IMG_1211.jpeg.89ad0a78683c41aba51a46595d9b5d95.jpeg

I agree with James about this bootout thing. I have some bootout problems still with 300mm waist and 21f -21r angles. Size 9 boot.

It has to do with extreme edge angles combined with extending legs. If I extend my legs a lot, I still boot out so I have to maintain a bit of bend. Soft snow is another thing which can result in bootout. Here's an example (44s) where I hit a snowmobile track where the lugs have softened the snow and board sinks there, causing my board to sink so much that it's a clear bootout. Extreme edge angles also makes the board more prone to sinking since there isn't much base contact vertically. The camera angle makes it easy to see that there's enough clearance just before I hit the soft spot. In that case I managed to engage the board to the firm groomer again so I could recover. If the slope was that soft overall, I would have needed a wider board, steeper binding angles, reduced binding+boot footprint or less extreme edge angles/bent legs.

I'm pretty sure James has similar issues.

I have couple of millimeters underhang both sides with my setup. I wish the board was even wider but the titanal sheet is the limiting factor at 31cm width.

I think Ryan needs the massive width because he rides soft snow. I mostly ride firm/icy groomers so excluding those nemesis snowmobile tracks, I'm fine with this setup.

• Like 1

Ahhh, so it seems like perhaps more of a softer-snow issue where the board track cuts deep enough so that the snow overhang causes drag? As more of a central/east coast guy I’m not quite as familiar with this soft snow you’re speaking of…but I’m pretty sure the guys James referenced are also all Rockies riders? 

It’s been a 15+ years since I lived out west, although I don’t remember this being a hardboot issue. Is that the case?  Hard boots have higher clearance regardless which would help.

Edited by ShortcutToMoncton

I've only ridden hardboots for two seasons basically so not that much experience but from what I've seen and heard, usually hardbooters ride firm conditions and go home or switch to softboots if it's softer. Also not all hardbooters (and even fewer softbooters) go for crazy extreme edge angles, especially if it's soft.

If the idea is to ride on soft conditions and you also want to go for extreme edge angles at the same time, you need zero overhang or even underhang. That's a very specific application though. Doesn't really matter if it's softboots or hardboots imo.

Fuego test ftw: https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7172

Edited by Xargo

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Xargo said:

If I extend my legs a lot, I still boot out so I have to maintain a bit of bend. Soft snow is another thing which can result in bootout.

What he said...

Extending the legs causes more boot out.  Look at Ryan Knapton's legs in a low carve, all the way straight.  That's why he needs extreme underhang.

No real difference in hard or soft boots, it's the hard or soft snow that makes the difference.  In Ontario you can get away with narrower boards for sure.  My last custom hard boot boards were 21cm in the waist, @dredman still orders 19.5cm I think, but he rides with more bend in the knees.

8 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I have to put the board at about 85 degrees before heel or toe just starts to touch

Sure, on a hard surface.  Remember that the board isn't riding on marble, it's sinking into the snow, creating a trench.  And the sinking motion is not perpendicular to the base like in powder but more parallel to the base in a carve, deleting that underhang immediately and then dragging the toes and/or heelcup.

When you get out here next season @ShortcutToMoncton you'll see what I mean...

Edited by crackaddict
  • Like 2