Note to New Members ×

The posi/posi and duck stance wars

Hug Masso

nice. thanks for chiming in @andy scheen. insightful take on reading between the lines and sharing from experience. hiding in plain sight. makes sense as much as some of the information in each of the different videos shared by James and Lars. we can all learn something from folks like yourself too. all should be commended for speaking out and in the youtube world, getting on camera.

dare i mention the Japan Snowboard Association? it seems very different than north america and wish i knew more about the technical riding and competitive technical riding in Japan. as a newbie learning of this, i believe this competitive environment (unlike the north american freestyle focus of xgames, int'l alpine race, etc.) is the drive for this sort of style of carving that is made so popular. well, duh. hindsight 20/20. it's an extremely different take than the America's, just as James and Lars take can differ. no right or wrong, just preferences. it's all still snowboarding. this may be a can of worms that is more appropriate for it's own thread? as an instructor/coach yourself, you may already be aware of JSBA, but check out JSBA Official on YT. long boring videos you can only decipher from viewing (20+hrs). how deep of a rabbit hole will one go? anyone care to cliffsnote this for us? TIA

Honestly, I rarely see instructors who can even carve, let alone carve well enough to teach it or understand the basics of carving body mechanics. 

Edited by TWM
  • Like 2

I will certainly admit that the 'penguin walk' works way better in duck stance...   I'm jealous sometimes; I have to lean forward over my nose and do more of a 'surfer's paddle' when I'm stuck on flats.  Miss my TD3 step-ins in those moments. 

Someone mentioned the 'posi-posi vs duck stance war' in a YouTube comment today.  I wrote back to him: "I don't see a war.  But then again I don't see duck stance riders carving black diamonds in Revelstoke either so maybe the war is over?"

6 hours ago, andy scheen said:

it seems to have pushed some buttons

Are you referring to me?  That was a joke, but it's over now.  For any who may not know, my alter ego is James Cherry, the very same James Cherry of the very recent and surely fleeting YouTube fame.

Sorry about that @Hug Masso, it was just too tempting...

• Like 1