Note to New Members ×

OT Slalom Water-skiing scandal

~tb

And the dude's a Dentist?? What a cheese ball.:nono:

His p.r. person says it shouldn't affect his practice because he's an "excellent dentist"???? If that isn't a semi-trailer full of horse puckey, I don't know what is.

In my profession, any act of "gross immorality" can result in the governing board taking action against the license.

Don't you want someone who's yanking and grinding on your choppers and billing huge amounts of $$$ to you or your insurance to be of good character???

Wow.

p.s. at least he won the title!! (:barf: )

Excellent cheat :)

Next time : torpedoes, pirhania release, naked ladies on the tow boat, boiling waters, sulfur acid sprays...

Actually this kind of cheat is way safer than doping! Doesn't harm the cheater's body etc...

Haven't seen Marion Jones at Helsinki btw... where is she?

N.

Wow..... !!!!!

I'll tell you though. I live on a water ski lake and hang with the slalom crowd so that story kind of amazes me. But you know what? slalom is small potatoes compared to the other big buck professional sport on our lake: bass fishing. I have always watched those boats out there and wondered about all the ingenious methods someone must have come up with to cheat. I mean, they have plenty of time and it draws the creative mind (you know, types of lures, colors, smells, water temps) and the stakes are screaming high. But its water. What could one possibly come up with? Guess I'm just a bit more informed now after reading this thread.

sic

anyone catch the wakeboarding on Saturday on the X Games from Long Beach ? What happened to Parks Bonifay ? Gotta say I identify with the wakeboard crowd much more than the slalom ski crowd but a ski does feel much more like carving a snowboard. ~tb, got any pics of your boat/ski ? I've still got my O'brien gk double boot slalom ski from 20 years ago and rarely ride it.

post-123-141842204901_thumb.jpg

slalom skiing fills the carving fix. . . wakeboarding is more fun. There are alot of similar body mechanics, and some things that are COMPLETELY opposite (upper body). Its also like carving that when the water is nice and smooth (hill groomed) that I would rather slalom ski (alpine). as soon as it gets chewed up, onto the wake board for the air.

my wife has some pics of the boat here:

http://www.ourwalden.net/skiboat/

we have changed some stuff, and added some equipment to it (wakeboard tower) since these pics. Ill try to get some recent wakeboarding and slalom pics off the home computer tonight.

~tb

Hey Todd, I use to do a ton of salom skiing and wake boarding on the Merrimack river behind my buddies Malibu ski boat. You're right carving on glass water is the closest thing to carving on snow.

Now with 2 kids my play times are fairly limited... :( At least my wife let's me play in my beach volleyball league which is my summer addiction sport and gets me through till winter. :D

Thanks for bringing in the slalom skiing subject. That sucks what that dentist tried pulling off. That guy should be attached to the end of a sub bouy for a couple of days.

I am a slalom skier here too, been skiing competitively for many years, personal best to this day was 3@35 off that was in my younger days when the boat was moving at 36 mph too. I still get up to the local lakes to put in some course time but now I get to run at 34 mph, 2 mph doesn't see like much but it makes a world of difference.

I, like ~tb prefer the smooth water, not glassy smooth cause the surface tension on the ski makes the ski do weird things. I like my water with just a touch of windchop to break up that suction that the glassy water causes.

I also like to mix in a little barefootin', wakeboarding and wakeskating. I need to get a new barefoot suit as mine has seen its last days and you definitely need a barefoot suit with the protection in the right places.

BTW, I own a 1988 Ski Nautique 2001, puts out a good wake for wakeboarding and a nice flat wake when you are into shortline lengths. Though my friends bitch about the size of the wake at 75 feet back.

And can you explain the diff b/t ski ropes ? stiff vs. strechy ? Our rope sucks.

Im all over this one.

For wakeboarding (jumping tricks) you NEED a good stiff rope. gives you much better pop of the wake and balance in the air. Try them back to back and you will feel a huge difference.

for slalom, you want some stretch. Its softer on your shoulder and actually increases your performance on course (dont let me mislead you, im a free skiier, not too much course). having a super stiff rope will actually decrease your performance and possibly lead to injury when you get any slack in your rope.

Equipment for me other than my boat. . . .

Slalom ski: 2002 connelly concept 64" with double stoker wraps

Slalom rope: straight line comp with 8 section mainline. 22 off

Wake board: 2003 hyperlite project 142 with spin bindings

Wakeboard rope: straightline spectra 80' with nice big handle. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Other toys: 6' surfboard for wake surfing. A knee board that never gets used, a tube that rarely gets used, and my neighbors aquaglide (its an 8' by 8' square inflateable that at 40mph gets airborne!)

just my 2 cents

Guest Randy S.

I'm going skiing next week on Lake Winnipesaukee. Yeah. :biggthump

I'm going to try to teach my 7 and 10 year-olds to waterski too. Its funny, I could waterski when I was 6. They still haven't learned since they spend so little time on the lake, compared to what I had when I was a kid.

I'm still skiing on the Jobe waterski I bought myself when I was 14 or 15 (78 or 79). It works great for me.

Guest Randy S.

Willy. I'll be at the lake from Friday night through the following Saturday. I'll be playing some golf some days, and hanging around other days. Would love to have you stop by. We're on Pine Island in Merideth. About 3.5 miles out of Center Harbor and at the tip of Bear Island. Right behind bouy number 4 (if memory serves and they haven't changed the numbers). Give me a shout on my cell phone if you want to connect. SixFifty-291-8582.

Randy