Note to New Members ×

Photon vs. Ion

Buford67

I can tell you that the Ion and Step On X combination works really well and I would not choose to switch if I could get the boots to fit. I had a regular pair of Ions before which fit fine but the step ons are narrower and the forefoot cleats prevent you from punching out the boot right where it needs it. 

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I can tell you that the Ion and Step On X combination works really well and I would not choose to switch if I could get the boots to fit. I had a regular pair of Ions before which fit fine but the step ons are narrower and the forefoot cleats prevent you from punching out the boot right where it needs it. 

True for the boots, but if you don't need big mods you can still modify the liner and shave the liner inside for a tad bit more of toe room, splay and heat.

You can also cut some slits where needed with a utility knife allowing a more flexible area of the liner where you did it.

All this at your own risks ! 😉

4 hours ago, rjnakata said:

They have Ion SO wide...

Last year, very limited, no longer made, no longer in stock anywhere I can find. It’s inexplicably still in their catalog but I talked to one of their support people about it. 

4 hours ago, RoroSnow said:

True for the boots, but if you don't need big mods you can still modify the liner and shave the liner inside for a tad bit more of toe room, splay and heat.

You can also cut some slits where needed with a utility knife allowing a more flexible area of the liner where you did it.

All this at your own risks ! 😉

Too late. Ions already gone on Ebay, got 50% of MSRP for a pair of used boots so not too much lost there.  The Photon Wides are a much better fit and not too much softer, at least just wearing them in the shop. 

Just received Photon SO wide.  Wow the first time I've ever had a wide SB boot...Thank you Burton! ...no foot pain...really??!

I'm guessing the 2-zone BOA will be OK and quicker to fine tune on the hill - I hate to stop (I had the Ion with 3-zone "Speed Zone" lacing before).  Fit-wise I can't feel any difference between the Ion and Photon other than the width (ie no odd boot interior feels).

@Buford67 check out @RoroSnow 's SO modification post "Burton Step On Full Season Review..."  For me switching out the forward lean screws was a game changer. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2023 at 5:01 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Last year, very limited, no longer made, no longer in stock anywhere I can find. It’s inexplicably still in their catalog but I talked to one of their support people about it. 

Too late. Ions already gone on Ebay, got 50% of MSRP for a pair of used boots so not too much lost there.  The Photon Wides are a much better fit and not too much softer, at least just wearing them in the shop. 

Step-on Ion Wide back in stock at Burton...620 bucks!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, rjnakata said:

Step-on Ion Wide back in stock at Burton...620 bucks!

Tempted. My Photons are softer than I’d like and after riding them I need to size down. If they’re still available next fall I’ll probably snag a pair and ebay the Photons. I found the dual Boas on the Photon better than the mix of speed lace and Boa on the Ion though. 

4 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Tempted. My Photons are softer than I’d like and after riding them I need to size down. If they’re still available next fall I’ll probably snag a pair and ebay the Photons. I found the dual Boas on the Photon better than the mix of speed lace and Boa on the Ion though. 

Agreed. I do like the Boa system better than speed lace for ease of adjustment.  Do you think the Powerrides would help the Photons?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 11:00 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Just chatting with a Burton rep through their site, they say they plan to offer the Ion step-on in wide next season.  I suggested they make a Driver X step-on and he said he'd pass the message along but I am not hopeful on that front.

@Neil Gendzwill I would love a Driver X StepOn boot but was told that there was no way they were going to make one…I would be happy with a Tourist StepOn as well and we will see on that one now that there are StepOn splitboard bindings (but I am not holding my breath).

I purchased the Ion Wide StepOn boots now that they are available again and am very happy with them so far. 

I was able to size down a half size (sadly this meant getting new bindings again as I went from an 11/Large binding to a 10.5/Medium binding. The pain I had with the regular width 10.5 Ion StepOn made me go for the 11s with some boot fitting tricks and it was ok, but the new 10.5 Ion wide is such a great feeling boot with no tricks to accommodate my feet.

I am still using the PowerRide Wing Mediums but only on my leading foot now as they help drive my turns better as the boot breaks down.

If they continue to make the wides I will probably switch over to my StepOn setup permanently, but we will see.

9 hours ago, Jack M said:

I went from the Driver X to the Ion, it's the same boot as far as I can tell.

Actually they are a different mold…had a long talk with the manager at the Flagship store about this and he said the Driver X and Tourist share the same mold but Ion is different (hence why making a StepOn Driver X is probably not going to happen).🤙