Note to New Members ×

CamelBak type hydration system

Derf

I use the old-school 70oz model and fill it up about 2/3. It fits fine under the jacket and freezing isn't an issue.

The main benefit I see with staying hydrated is with riding endurance. When I started using the Camelbak, I noticed I could ride harder for longer without the legs feeling tired and crampy.

I then started using Sportlegs, and that helped as much or more with endurance. It's a big issue with me since I don't get out too often, I want to stay on the slopes as much as possible.

MT

Looks like I need to go to BC. Great picture. Cute daughter too.

Cathedral Provincial Park is one of the gems of BC, if you notice in the background top right of my baby carrier, there is a white speck. It is a mountain goat. We were able to come within about 75 feet of them to take pictures. There were 12 of them with small babies too.

Camelback sells a "drying aid", can't remember what its called, but it looks like a funky kind of clothes hanger. Stick it into the bladder and it expands and holds it open to dry it out fast. It helps to prevent any moisture from hanging around when you put it away after cleaning.

My favorite for hot weather is to fill it up about 30-40% and freeze it (laying on its back so ice doesn't block the tube), then fill it up the rest of the way and go.

Jay

• 10 months later...

I finally got an hydration backpack. It's not a CamelBak, but a MEC Mountain Fountain Tour. I used it on a 121 km bike ride last weekend and this thing is amazing! It's much more quick and easy than using regular bottles. It's better than I expected. Thanks everyone for all the replies.

5007781_v1_m56577569830566168.jpg

HEy Derf,

I have one also and love it. Blowing air back keeps it from freezing, but I did find that once I got one with the neoprene sleeve it helped keep the tube open much better. The one you have doesn't look like it has a sleeve, but just do what I did....go to your local scuba shop and ask if thye have any scrap neoprene from fixing wetsuits. The place I went had a ton and actually gave it to me for free and then you can just sew up your own sleeve. I actually replaced the one on my winter camelbak with one I made becasue it had thicker neoprene and it worked a lot better. Enjoy.

I think I have an identical camelback as $trider have. It's got cool cover thing on the mouthpiece alongside the neoprene sleeve. A few years back, I had a regular platypus type of reservior and was riding at breck's superpipe. One of the day, we had extremely cold day that I was surprised my mouth piece was frozen solid when I had it INSIDE my jacket. So Im not gonna be cheap myself this time, and got the current one now. I use it when I go hare scramble motorcycle race, too. Works wonder to keep the dust -off- the mouth piece with that guard/cover thing.