Note to New Members ×

Mt. Rose '23-24

ExcelsiorTheFathead

Friday January 19.  Day 28.

Cloudy and warm with gentle winds.  The runout on lower Mine Train was a good firm carve at the 8:30 open even though the temperatures were already above freezing.  At 9 I went over to KCB and got a few good runs in but the crowd grew and soon it was tough to find a clearing.  I went back to Mine Train and did a few runs there with few people around.  Out at 10.  Snow is predicted for the Sunday-Monday period.  We need it.  There are some obvious thin spots on the Slide bowl side.

Tuesday January 23.  Day 29.

Over the weekend and into Monday there was something like 10-12" of new.  Tuesday morning at open had nice sunshine and no wind.  The Big Bonanza run is groomed today but I still want coverage to be better before I go try to carve it.  Grooming on my typical runs is not bad, a little stripey in places with a soft top.  I did most of my turns in the KCB.  By 10AM it started to cut up a bit.  On my way out a thick cloudbank enveloped the Slide Bowl and made viz so bad that some old skier guys took off their skis and were just sitting in the middle of the run.  They couldn't tell up from down.  I scratched my way down trying to follow the direction of the cord until I could see some trees and the lift towers.

Thursday-Friday January 25-26.  Day 31.

Thursday had nice sunshine and cold temps at open.  There was some new overnight so things were variable with bare groom in some places and too much new in others.  Good carving in the bowls.

Friday was cloudy and warm with base temps of 32 at open.  Pretty good groom everywhere.  It started to snow a little on top and slush down low.  I got several runs with James and I went down Northwest for the first time but found it a bit too challenging.

High temperatures will predominate over the weekend and there is a risk of rain.

Monday January 29.  Day 32.

It was sunny and warm over the weekend, and it continues into Monday.  Daytime temps have gone well into the 40s.  Even though nighttime temps barely reach freezing, the groom this morning was soft on the peaks of the cord but pretty firm underneath.  No easy carving under these conditions and perfect balance is necessary to stay on edge.  Fortunately there has been no rain (yet).

Tuesday January 30.  Day 33.

Warm again at open with temps at 34.  Cloudy and breezy.  Slide Bowl was pretty firm and challenging to carve.  This side of the hill is showing a number of thin spots.  I got first tracks on KC Bowl in flat light and it was smooth and near-hero for the first few runs.  After that it started to cut up and became lumpy.  It is supposed to cool off and dump snow late Wednesday thru Thursday.  

Wednesday January 31.  Day 34.

31 F at open, cloudy and windy.  The Slide Bowl side is closed because of wind and this has kept many people away.  I rode the first hour down the KC Bowl and it was good.  Firm but grippy and it didn't come apart.  Easy to get a clear run because very few people are around.  Some thin spots are appearing at the top of Northwest and also in the bowl.  Wind is increasing during the day and the snow should start in the evening.

Friday February 2.  Day 35.

There's something like 6" of new since Wednesday.  This morning is much cooler at 17F with lots of clouds in the Slide Bowl.  I stayed in the lodge until 9 then headed for the KC Bowl which had soft groom.   The first few runs could be carved, then it got pushed around.  No hard carving today, but it was good to be there.  The "atmospheric river" is supposed to strike on Sunday and Monday, with forecasts calling for "feet" of snow.

Tuesday February 6.  Day 36.

The resort claims more, but my safe guess is that there has been around 2 feet of new snow.  Much of it got groomed in yesterday, and there was another 2" overnight.  This morning is pretty cloudy with some freezing fog.  I got some early runs in the KC bowl with grooming that was far better than I expected.  A little soft but not ridge-y and held carves well until it started to chop up.  I saw James from the chair but he must have been on the steeper blues. 

Wednesday February 7.  Day 37.

Cold, windy, and cloudy, but with some of the best groom yet this season.  James was on the steeper runs again while I stayed in the bowl.  As the morning progressed the wind got stronger and snow began to fall.  The combined effects were a little punishing but it was worth it.  When I left at 10:30 much of the hill was stuck in clouds with lots of blowing snow.

Thursday February 8.  Day 38.

Nice sunshine with broken clouds at open.  Cool temps and 1-2" of new.  On the Slide bowl side there is a little bit of new over groom.  The KC Bowl is bare smooth groom, so I think it gets groomed on the AM shift.  I got first tracks down Big Bonanza which I tried for the first time.  The lower part was good carving.  After a few runs down the KC Bowl I met up with James and we did a run down Bonanza.

The resort has been bombing the chutes and testing out the Chuter lift.  I suppose they might open it soon but can't be certain.  I don't really care cuz I'm never going there.  If it opens it will draw more people away from the groomers.

Friday February 9.  Day 39.

Cool, high clouds, a little breeze and 1" of new.  Good groom everywhere.  I heard that the Chutes opened yesterday at 2 and opened today from 10.  Bonanza was good but a little soft.  I did my other runs in the bowls.   James was seen on Northwest.  A string of nice weather days is coming up but daytime temps will start to go above freezing.

Monday-Wednesday February 12-14.  Day 42.

Monday and Tuesday were good carving days.  I had high hopes for Wednesday even though a storm is approaching.  In the early morning it looked a little windy on the cam but there was no announcement on the resort website calling for wind holds.  Just after I left home in the car a squall rolled in and by the time I arrived at the Slide parking lot the Zephyr lift had been shut for the day.  I drove to the main lodge to find that both summit lifts there were on hold.  My only choice was to ride the green Galena lift in furious headwinds and make the best of the shallow run there.  Shudda stayed in bed.

Friday February 16.  Day 43.

12-14" of new snow fell by Thursday morning.  On Friday at open it is a little cloudy but the light is pretty good.  The Slide Bowl side is nicely groomed but too soft.  The KC Bowl is a bit firmer and feels like it is on the 2nd day of groom.  I had good carving runs down the bowl until it started to come apart.  Snow started to fall by 10 AM.  I'm blacked out for the 3-day weekend and a bunch of new snow is expected.

Tuesday February 20.  Day 44.

Perhaps 2 feet of new snow fell since Friday, with 6-8" of it last night.  Tuesday morning is partly cloudy with a little wind.  Lots of people are here at open, with many families.  I heard that some parts of N. Cal are on break.  The snow is soft and there are varying inches of new snow and windblown everywhere so carving isn't possible.  I ended up down on the easy green runs which were the only ones groomed just before open. 

Wednesday February 21.  Day 45.

2-4" of new reported.  Both the Slide Bowl and KC Bowl have a couple of inches of new over groom.  Some carving is possible but it gets unpleasant once the surface gets bumped up.  No new is in the forecast for the next few days.  Thursday should be a "first day of groom" situation.  Friday might be an epic firm groom day.

Friday February 23.  Day 47.

Another nice day.  Rather than being hero firm, it was about the same as yesterday.  Great carving early in the bowls but the snow started to come apart after an hour.  I got a few runs with James.  Yesterday I met another hardbooter in crazy old gear. 

I tried Big Bonanza early but it was disappointingly soft and uneven.  I also have to say that the Silver Dollar run always seems uneven. It looks like a great carving run, but maybe it needs 10 feet of snow to flatten out.

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Tuesday-Wednesday February 27-28.  Day 49.

Monday had bad weather but Tuesday and Wednesday were good carving days with nice weather and groom. 

Now on Thursday the resort is closed due to an oncoming storm.  The area is under blizzard warning for the next 3 days.  4-8 feet of snow is expected with peak winds exceeding 100 mph.

Tuesday March 5.  Day 50.

The Slide parking lot was closed so I went to the main lot and lined up at the Lakeview lift for the 9 AM open.  It was cloudy with high winds.  Grooming in the KC Bowl was not great but not bad either, given the circumstances.  I made some good turns when there was enough sun to actually see the surface.  The steep blues under the chair looked fairly well groomed but I didn't try them.  I wanted to go try the Slide side but was afraid of getting stranded there as both the Northwest and Zephyr lifts were going on and off of wind hold.

Wednesday-Friday March 6-8.  Day 53.

Generally good riding these days with the snow gradually getting firmer.  Thursday was good for the first 90 minutes then a cloud bank socked in the entire mountain for the rest of the day.  Friday was sunny and crowded.  I made good turns on the top of Silver Dollar which is finally flat and well-groomed.

Sunday March 10.  Day 54.

I went up on my first Sunday now that my pass is unrestricted.  I get to the Slide lot early and the wind is howling.  Windows in the lodge are shaking.  I got first chair on Zephyr and made a run down the bowl.  The grooming is smooth but the winds had scoured all of the fine snow out, leaving a bunch of raspy snow pebbles over firm cord.  I headed for the KC Bowl around 8:50 and Zephyr went on wind hold. 

On the KC traverse I encountered a softbooter sitting on the trail who couldn't make any progress into the screaming headwind.  I got to the bowl and got first tracks on firm, fast, smooth groom.  The light was flat at first but quickly turned into sun breaks.  I think I got around 4 laps on the Lakeview lift when Northwest went on wind hold.  The lift line at Lakeview became unreasonably long so I bailed out and had to take a shuttle back to the Slide parking lot.

I got a few good runs with good turns.  It was kinda worth the trouble.  Kinda.

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday March 11-14.  Day 57.

Monday was cloudy and windy and challenging.  Didn't ride Tuesday because of bad wx.  Wednesday was pretty good. 

NWS had posted a high wind warning for Thursday which seemed to have scared lots of people off.  It was mostly sunny and a little windy, but not at the levels which would cause lift holds.  Temp at open was only 9F, making it one of the coldest days yet.

Conditions on the Slide Bowl and Silver Dollar were hero good.  At 9AM I did one run down the KC bowl which had a strong headwind and so-so grooming with unpleasantly firmy snow.  I went back to Slide and tore that up for an hour.  Very few people on the hill.

Friday March 15.  Day 58.

Another NWS warning for strong lake winds seemed to have scared many people off.  A cool 13F at open with only light winds.  It would have been sunny if not for the one big a-hole cloud that sat over the hill all morning.  Groom is very good.  Firm and fast.

A warming trend is coming that will take resort temps into the 40s over the next several days.  Reno is supposed to hit 70 in the city.