Note to New Members ×

WTB TD3 SW Standard (not step in) Plate/BP version + Virus Isolator plates BX/Freeride 24- 28cm

Jianan

Looking for the following to pair with my Donek Flux to help with my knee pain hopefully:

- Virus Isolator plates (BX/Freeride 24 - 28cm version)

- TD3 SW (standard version as my boots won't work with step-in; Plate/BP version lower assembly as I'm mounting this on the Virus plates, standard version seems too tall)

Thank you!

Edited by Jianan
clarify the items I want to buy

• Jianan changed the title to WTB TD3 SW Standard (not step in) Plate/BP version + Virus Isolator plates BX/Freeride 24- 28cm
11 hours ago, Jianan said:

to help with my knee pain hopefully:

I tried Gecko/Virus isolator plates for the same reason.   Wasn't much of a difference imo.  Actually in retrospect my problem might of been  I tried the Geckos under a standard TD3. (it was terrible!)......not BP version!

But a UPM Plate on a board  with UPM inserts (not the 4x4 to UPM adapter!). makes my knees/legs last all day!

Edited by barryj

5 hours ago, barryj said:

I tried Gecko/Virus isolator plates for the same reason.   Wasn't much of a difference imo.  Actually in retrospect my problem might of been  I tried the Geckos under a standard TD3. (it was terrible!)......not BP version!

But a UPM Plate on a board  with UPM inserts (not the 4x4 to UPM adapter!). makes my knees/legs last all day!

The Plate/BP version seems to just be 1/4” shorter than the standard version, with thinner e-rings. It will be shorter stack height, but not sure how that’d make it better haha.

Are you referring to your Coiler Angrry 160 XXT  + Donek UPM F Plate setup? I saw your pic in the quiver post! looks nice! What’s the width of the Coiler Angrry 160 XXT? and do you have the Plate/BP version of TD3 lower assembly mounted on the F plate?

Donek seems to only have the 4 x 4 version of the F plate in stock on their website at the moment. And I need to get a new board with UPM insert haha 😂 

Also nice moss btw! i just got myself a SW62 last month and and took it for a spin in Chile! I ride it with my Phantom boots and bindings. Love that board! 

1 hour ago, Jianan said:

The Plate/BP version seems to just be 1/4” shorter than the standard version, with thinner e-rings. It will be shorter stack height, but not sure how that’d make it better haha.

J run your own test if ya don't believe me - It Sucks!...........just don't blame me  if you get hurt!

1 hour ago, Jianan said:

Are you referring to your Coiler Angrry 160 XXT  + Donek UPM F Plate setup?

Well not specifically that board but as I am one of the last UPM hold outs and Adjunct UPM Plate Master it's just a huge :biggthump to the UPM board + UPM Plate systems!   All my hard charging carving rides are UPM boards+ UPM plates.   Kessler 168 + UPM, Donek Rev 163 + UPM, Coiler Angrry 160 + UPM   

Bruce was reluctant to  make a new Angrry with UPM but I signed my life away that if I snap it I can't cry foul.   The Angrry is a 20w and I'm running TD3 SW SI's 3/6 cant disks on BP lowers which sit on a Donek F Plate.  The K168 (Is a Wow ride by itself!) was running on a Donek AF plate because of the length and BP lowers and board+ plate is Now OMG!!

1 hour ago, Jianan said:

Donek seems to only have the 4 x 4 version of the F plate

Well if you sweet talk Sean (or pester the Hell out of him like I did!)  he will make you a new UPM F Plate!  I got a brand spanking new UPM F Plate just last season.  He said he had enough leftover parts to create at least one more!   Better Go Get it!

1 hour ago, Jianan said:

Also nice moss

Thank you..... and congrats to you on your Swallow62 purchase!  This is my 3rd Moss PQ60 and if I was told I could only have/ride One Board In My Quiver this would be it!  It loves 3ft of Pow and it Loves to Carve on the groomers....all on the same run!   No other board can do both so well with such mixed conditions on the same run!  It's a renaissance design and masterpiece of handmade craftmanship!  I run it with TD3 SW SI's 3/3 cant disks with softer Deeluxe 325 boots and  liners and no BTS.  I really save it for pow days....which was the majority last year here in Tahoe!!

Being a Cali boy I'm sure you know the Sports Hub here in Truckee has The Entire Moss lineup in there demo fleet!!!   I imagine you acquired your  SW62 from them....yes?

Unfortunately I'm on the AIL sidelines for the first few months this season but hope to back at it in March.  Hit me up for a Moss play date if your riding brings you up to Tahoe!

Cheers!   

Edited by barryj

On 10/20/2023 at 4:39 PM, barryj said:

J run your own test if ya don't believe me - It Sucks!...........just don't blame me  if you get hurt!

I believe you haha, that's a main reason why I'm on this forum, to learn from others' trials and errors 😄 thank you!

Well not specifically that board but as I am one of the last UPM hold outs and Adjunct UPM Plate Master it's just a huge :biggthump to the UPM board + UPM Plate systems!

Sean said that "Depending on the plate design, the UPM can provide a far more immediate edge engagement [compare to 4x4]." Is this the reason why you're keen on the UPM system? And do you mean that the UPM system is on its way out? Why is that?

Have you tried Allflex/Iron Rock plate + board btw? I'm still new to all these things, but wondering how Allflex compares to UPM. What's your thoughts on this Kessler 180 with UPMThese have Allflex pattern but not sure if the large GS sidecut radius is suitable for me at this point. This 4x4 Oxess is also pretty nice though, I see you're also interested haha!

Well if you sweet talk Sean (or pester the Hell out of him like I did!)  he will make you a new UPM F Plate!

Gotcha, let me think through what system I want to get in on and I'll pester him 😁 thanks for the tip!

It loves 3ft of Pow and it Loves to Carve on the groomers....all on the same run!

Definitely felt that when I was at Valle Nevado last month! I was drawing my line in pow and carving down icy slopes all on the SW62 🙌

Being a Cali boy I'm sure you know the Sports Hub here in Truckee has The Entire Moss lineup in there demo fleet!!!   I imagine you acquired your  SW62 from them....yes?

I did call Sports Hub at some point and checked with them what Moss boards they have in stock, but didn't end up ordering from them. I feel very particular about the topsheet design of the board, so I reviewed all the topsheet design from past years, and narrowed down on which model years I want between the PQ60, SW62, and SW70. In the end I picked the 18-19 SW62 from The Easy Rider up in Alberta Canada. Below is a picture of me at Valle Nevado. I was riding it with my Phantom bindings and boots which I bought to use for backcountry stuff this coming winter. I agree with the person that sold you the PQ60 that your 17-18 PQ60 has the most beautiful topsheet of all PQ60s through the years. I'm hoping to get the latest 23-24 PQ60 myself because I like its red color (looks very vibrant in one of the video Moss shared on instagram).

IMG_0574.jpeg.bb905f875f8bc5c54a5a7106b0da0da6.jpeg

Unfortunately I'm on the AIL sidelines for the first few months this season but hope to back at it in March.  Hit me up for a Moss play date if your riding brings you up to Tahoe!

Sorry to hear that and hope the best for your recovery! Absolutely down for a play date! I live in the Bay and drove up to Tahoe pretty much every other weekend last winter. I think I'll be at Palisades most weekend this coming winter and probably will also be driving to Mammoth if condition allows (I fell in love with Mammoth this spring, ended up going till end of July 😂). Do you have the Ikon or Epic pass?

Edited by Jianan
addition

1 hour ago, Jianan said:

UPM can provide a far more immediate edge engagement [compare to 4x4]." Is this the reason why you're keen on the UPM system? And do you mean that the UPM system is on its way out? Why is that?

Yea...don't go with the 4x4 UPM mount....just deadens the purpose and ride of the Plate and the stack height and weight sucks.

Yes, UPM is dead.  Probably 5 years now.  Allflex/Ironrock is the latest/greatest which reads $$$   Unless your racing at the World Cup/Olympic level UPM is still just as good... imo.

Here's a link when I asked the same question:                        

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, barryj said:

The Geckos came with soft (orange) and hard (red) bumpers. I weigh 185lbs and found a mix of the soft & hard bumpers worked best for me. The bumpers that come with Virus Isolator plates are a medium stiffness, compared to the Gecko bumpers.

btw, the stack height of standard TD3's (with the 1cm thick elastomers) mounted directly on the board is virtually the same as using TD3's & BP base on Geckos.

Here is an old thread with lots of Gecko style plate info...

• Thanks 1