Note to New Members ×

Good slopes for carving near Vancouver (New Carver)?

Sirui

Hi everyone, I recently found out about this forum and would love to make some friends here & learn more about carving. 22-23 was my first season carving in alpine stance, and my second season for carving-focus snowboarding in general (softboot). 

I ride at Whistler and Cypress most of the time, since I got a student pass for cheap at Whistler and work for Cypress. However, the unpredictable coastal weather has got me thinking about finding another resort that is still in a day-trip distance from Vancouver, with has consistent tempreture and big open groomed runs. I have heard good things about Apex and Manning, but didn't have a chance to visit yet. Sasquatch in March was suprisingly good when I visited. 

Happy to join, hope we all have a good season, and look forward to your replies. 

P.S. Video attached for critiques and advices 

Hi BlueB!

I will be working at Cypress starting from this season, and the orientation is still a month+ away, I believe. It's great to see someone from Cypress as well, my name is Sirui and you could expect to see me a lot in the coming season haha. 

10 hours ago, BlueB said:

Hey, that's excellent riding! 

But do I know you? How come you never joined the staff training/carving sessions at Cypress, last season? 

6 hours ago, Sirui said:

Hi BlueB!

I will be working at Cypress starting from this season, and the orientation is still a month+ away, I believe. It's great to see someone from Cypress as well, my name is Sirui and you could expect to see me a lot in the coming season haha. 

Hi, I'm Boris. I'll run some of the on snow orientation groups and carving training later. There are few more instructors and other Cypress regulars that are into carving. 

Hey! I'm Levi.

Cypress has hands down the best staff training you can get, but I've been turned off by the volatile "clear" snow conditions and crowds. Same situation at Grouse/Seymour. I worked there last season once a week, taking @BlueB's carving training and it was the highlight of working there — he's the expert in this region. There are also other excellent trainers at Cypress too that can help you get higher CASI certifications. @roch is also an instructor there.

Manning is an awesome mountain, we've had a few Vancouver "refugees" coming out here, but keep in mind it is a small resort with old school lifts. The upside is largely empty runs, no lines, and excellent carving. I will be returning to work and living there full time this winter, I should be the only one in an instructor jacket on hardboots. Feel free to yell at me.

Sasquatch (formerly Hemlock) is very hit and miss. It is very similar to Manning in terms of size and sports the same old lifts, but it is just too low elevation to get consistently good snow. Its only advantage over Manning is distance.

Mt. Baker is a legendary mountain if you are willing to cross the border. They get a lot of snow, so expect more powder than carving, and they have a lot more technical terrain than runs suitable for carving.

I haven't been to Apex yet, but I've heard good things. I get free passes there, so I will be checking it out. It's a very long drive from Vancouver though... not "day trip" distance.

7 hours ago, Jarcode said:

Hey! I'm Levi.

Hi Levi!

Thanks for the input! Maybe I was very lucky with my Sasquatch trip then, but I definitely loved the open empty runs; I should plan some visits to Manning and Apex this season. 

Baker is a bit too far for me, Whistler is my go-to for big mountain and freeriding, but I've heard that they have crazy snowfall. 

You got me excited about the upcoming training sessions at Cypress with @BlueB, if I happen to go to Manning I'll look for you

13 hours ago, BlueB said:

Hi, I'm Boris. I'll run some of the on snow orientation groups and carving training later. There are few more instructors and other Cypress regulars that are into carving. 

Hi Boris, 

I'll 100% be at some of those upcoming carving training sessions. In fact, I might have seen you riding a few times last season at Cypress, because alpine boarders are pretty rare up there. 

Looking forward to meet you on the slope!

39 minutes ago, Sirui said:

Baker is a bit too far for me, Whistler is my go-to for big mountain and freeriding, but I've heard that they have crazy snowfall.

Apex is much further than Baker. Apex is also a ridiculously long drive just because of the #3 highway being so windy, plus you pass Manning on the way. if you have not driven this road before in the winter, make sure you're prepared and check road conditions ahead of time. It can be harsh.

If you're interested in a true hardboot setup, Boris is a walking encyclopedia for anything alpine related and has helped a lot of us out. He kept a board available for anyone to try in the instructor hut last season.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I got into an accident a few days ago and broke my pelvis. The Doc said I should spend at least 2 weeks resting, and no snowboarding for 6-8 weeks. 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, Sirui said:

I'll 100% be at some of those upcoming carving training sessions

After come communication with the snow school, we have come to the conclusion that since I will not be able to attend the on-snow orientation, I won't be working at Cypress this winter anymore 😞

11 hours ago, Sirui said:

Unfortunately I got into an accident a few days ago and broke my pelvis. The Doc said I should spend at least 2 weeks resting, and no snowboarding for 6-8 weeks. 

After come communication with the snow school, we have come to the conclusion that since I will not be able to attend the on-snow orientation, I won't be working at Cypress this winter anymore 😞

Oh boy... We all wish you a speedy recovery. Hopefully you can hit the slopes for some spring riding.