Note to New Members ×

Roundhill Ski Area Review

SunSurfer

Just finished my 3rd day here and finding it hard to wipe the smile off my face.

Roundhill is a smallish field serviced by 2 T-bars, and a rope tow (nutcracker required) for some serious off piste steeps for skiers. But look past the T-bars and see at least 5 different pistes that are wide, well groomed, and of ideal gradients for carvers wanting to progress from the absolute beginner slope.

Today I rode with more hardbooters than I have ever seen together in NZ. There would have been between 10-15, a mix of Koreans, 3 Kiwis, and Russian guy who is working in NZ at present. To make the point the Koreans were part of a snowboard school, with riders of widely varying ages and abilities.

And despite it being a weekend and like other places, horrendously busy at the major resorts, there was little traffic and the longest I queued for a lift ride would have been 5 minutes. Advantages of being a little off the beaten track and relatively small. To give you a taste....

• Like 2

Good enough that the USA women's and men's ski teams are here slalom and GS training, plus the South Korean alpine snowboard team. So many pairs of Mountain Slope boots and AllFlex plates being ridden. Boards range from Kessler, Oxxess, Black Pearl amongst others.

View not as steady as I'd like. Inadvertently shot with in-camera stabilisation OFF, then rescued in post with Da Vinci Resolve. I'm the rider, board is a Coiler Contra 173, 10.5m SCR, MCC 2023 demo.

Edited by SunSurfer
updated video with better stabilisation