Note to New Members ×

Goode Carbon Fiber Alpine Board

patmoore

Some of you might remember that I designed the webstore for suburbanskiandbike.com and ran their online sales for eight years before I retired in 2014.  The owner stopped by yesterday and gave me this 155 cm Goode Carbon Fibre alpine board.  It is incredibly light.  I remember riding it one day about a dozen years ago.  At the time it had proprietary bindings which have disappeared.  Anyhow, it's got a good base and fresh tune and i'll try it again.  Are any of you familiar with it?  Goode is still in business and produces waterskis and ski poles.  They did produce race skis but discontinued them after Dave Goode was killed in the crash of his twin engine Cessna.

IMG_9635.JPG

IMG_9632.JPG

IMG_9634.JPG

Edited by patmoore

I designed, built and tested those while working at Goode in Waterford MI.  We had the molds made locally, but at $10,000 for the cavity mold itself, the 165 that I really wanted to make never came to fruition.  There were so many cost-cutting efforts made on that board's manufacturing (against my wishes but to satisfy Dave's ego) that very few survived testing.  I was in the co-pilot's seat on two occasions where we almost had a mid-air incident, so it's not surprising that he passed in this manner.  I could go on and on about the experience working there, but it would serve no purpose.  If you ever decide to sell the board, let me know.  

• Like 2

BTW, is there a tiny little raised bump on the topsheet at the nose of the board?  It would be where the topsheet radius rounds over to meet the base.  somewhere in transport from the CNC shop to the factory, something fell in the mold and made a small dent, which of course made a raised bump on all the boards.  I think we sanded out a few, but that destroyed the paper-thin topsheet material.  

• LOL 1

14 hours ago, Deuxdiesel said:

BTW, is there a tiny little raised bump on the topsheet at the nose of the board?  It would be where the topsheet radius rounds over to meet the base.  somewhere in transport from the CNC shop to the factory, something fell in the mold and made a small dent, which of course made a raised bump on all the boards.  I think we sanded out a few, but that destroyed the paper-thin topsheet material.  

Do you mean this bump?  I would never have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.  Just out curiosity, when would the board have been made?

Very cool to see the marketing brochure! Thanks.

bump.jpg

Edited by patmoore

10 hours ago, patmoore said:

Do you mean this bump?  I would never have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.  Just out curiosity, when would the board have been made?

Very cool to see the marketing brochure! Thanks.

bump.jpg

That's the bump!  The board was made in 1995, and they continued to make a few after I left.  I left because I didn't want the personal liability from potential injuries due to the poor quality of materials and manufacturing. 

-The cores we used weren't even "second" quality.  They were inconsistent and had large voids, poor adhesion between stringers and the insert holes (besides being misaligned) looked like the were drilled with a wood spade, so the inserts didn't have much to bond with.

-The carbon prepreg used was totally the wrong material.  It was meant for low elongation (less than 3-4% IIRC) aeronautical use, had to be stored in a freezer (which it wasn't) and had single direction fibers, so it was terrible at preventing pull-out of screws or inserts.  I tried to get them to use a bit of titanal in the lay-up, but Dave want "pure" carbon. Even the manufacturer told us not to use it.  

-The "topsheet" was nothing more than Korad (sp?) that was eventually supposed to be sublimated with a carbon fiber weave to ironically give the appearance of the woven 3K carbon fiber we should have used in the first place.  It offered nothing structurally.  

Again, I would pay for it to have it as opposed to sitting in some museum.  Ride it if you must, but caveat emptor.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, patmoore said:

Wow!  You really know that board.  

I'm heading out of the country shortly for a two week trip but will give it a try when I get back.

Thanks for all the detailed info!

Lol I absolutely love that you read everything he wrote and concluded “I really gotta ride this thing” 

what a maniac 🤘💀🤘

• LOL 2

6 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Lol I absolutely love that you read everything he wrote and concluded “I really gotta ride this thing” 

what a maniac 🤘💀🤘

Maniac?  Possibly.  After reading my book recently, a guy asked me, "How is it you're still alive??"  🙄

book cover option 2.jpg

• Like 1