Note to New Members ×

Mount Como

Scott.Creer

Took the family to Mount Como today, because I didn't want to pay $80 for a day pass for my 6 year old to just take 2 runs on the carpet then call it quits at Afton. 

Mount Como is a great little rope tow hill in Como Park. It was $15 per ticket. The lessons reminded me of a classic rope tow ski school. High School kids helping littles use the rope. Conditions and grooming was really great. They had a legit groomer, which also serviced the cross country trails. They do rentals there as well for the lessons.

Good times.

• Like 2

Ha! Didn't know they actually called it MOUNT Como.

That's the first place I tried snowboarding with Sorel boots and a borrowed board―meh―it wasn't for me―snowboarding, that is.

Until a few years later when I saw hardbooters carving at Afton Alps (another aspirational name) They looked like they were from another planet, or maybe the future.  :eplus2:

Rented a softboot setup and took a lesson from them that day and started carving using my old  Alpine ski boots and a borrowed asym 157 Rad-Air.

i taught there for a few years, a long time ago! actually grew up near there, and had my first ski experience there too.

thought i could figure out skiing on my own.* got down the hill fine (the chalet was off hamline, so you'd start at the top). then the hilarity ensued. i kept grabbing the rope tow all at once, would get launched forward onto my face. over, and over, and over. then i would struggle getting up, putting back on skis, etc. i ended up carrying everything back uphill to the chalet, and quit. 1 run down, probably 15 tow rope launches/drags.**

* there may have been an episode of typical asshole behavior, and i didn't get to sign up for lessons with my brother, because of my usual behavior. i DID behave well enough to sign up for lessons the next year.

** yes, people tried to help. do you think i listened? see above, for my behavior profile

• Like 2