Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mt 22-23

bigwavedave

Thurs      25° am  ― 34° pm

1st day after the big messy 3 day storm that in the end gave us just an inch or two of sleet & snow and lots of wind. Pretty sure there was a good dose of rain and freezing rain in there too.

AM....The hill was in decent shape with a mostly smooth groom that was hard frozen. The light was flat and it was hard to see the bumps and dips. I lasted an hour and rode 3 different plated boards. I just didn't have it in me to skid every other turn just to have a bone rattling carved turn here and there.

So I went home and reshaped my Thirsty-Lizard plates to make them more compliant.

PM.....temps above freezing. Ran into Russ who told me to check out the bigair park and BlueRuin for the best groom. There was now a few inches of slush over the bumpy, icy groom and lots of slushy tracks, but there were no crowds or lines. I had some good, mostly carved runs. It was a challenge and tough on the old knees. I rode for another hour until the temps dropped and the slush started to set up.

A ski carver stopped me at the top just to give me a fist bump and say, "You look damn good on that board". That felt good cause the conditions were challenging. I seem to get a lot of compliments from ski carvers lately, including ones who tail me to see if they can match my turns. 

P.S. Rode 3 plated boards today: Geckoed Contra 166, Thirsty-lizard plated 171 XC, 175 Rev with F-plate.

The 171 Thirst XC with my home-made thirsty-lizard plates had the best ride. I was kind of surprised, as it wasn't even close. Usually the F-plated Rev smooths out a rough ride the best, but not today.

• Like 1

Friday, April 7

Last day of the season for me - got going at 11 in the bright sun with temp in the mid 30s. Started on Timber Cruiser and worked my way across the hill to the Big Air Park as the surface softened. Had to take one extra run to enjoy the soft, consistent snow on the skier’s left side of the park 😎.

Had a barbecue lunch courtesy of the Friday patrol, then packed up for the year.

• Like 1

Friday  

AM...25° frozen groom like yesterday, maybe a little softer. And like yesterday I went back home to give the sun time to soften the snow.

PM...34°-39°  A bit softer than yesterday and the crowds had thinned out with no lift line to speak of. About 4-5" of lumpy slush over a hard ice base. 

VID_20180202_082937_00_021_2023-04-07_15-09-20_screenshot.jpg.bdc8ef117ffa22073e8b319f4ce2fff1.jpg

Making big slush slarving turns on the 202 TSm² through the lumpy mashed potatoes. Felt smoother than a shorter board with a plate. Rode for 2½ hours, mainly in the PM. It was a nice day, a good Friday. :biggthump

• Like 1

Saturday

Waited til afternoon when the clouds & the crowds dissipated and the temps got up to the upper 30's in the sun. It gets softer every day. Yes, the ice base is still under there if you carve deep enough. Making deep tracks with the 8rw today! 

VID_20180203_075910_00_024_2023-04-08_14-55-15_screenshot.jpg.20a33a1109b859c0f0df67896cb19759.jpg

Rode for 1-2 hours. It started to get a little busy and I had a couple of close encounters and decided it was a good time to quit. Before that though, had a close encounter (of the good kind) meeting another carver on the hill today. You know how it is, first you see telltale tracks in the snow and next thing you know you've made a new friend on the chair...

...Stacia from Copper Harbor.

IMG_9107(2).jpg.9ad43fa32b2810c1ef0c4bd148c8460f.jpgIMG_9108(2).jpg.d2944629eb7bdd3d3e2881175da8ac3b.jpg

This may be the last day, I don't know. Gonna get real warm next week. Though there's still a lot of snow, so maybe some hike & ride before the bikes & boats come out?

Day 71 at Spirit   

plus 9 days between Snowriver, Lutsen and Giants.

• Like 1