Note to New Members ×

OT: Hitchhiker's Guide - Don't bother

skategoat

If you loved the book(s) or the original BBC radio or TV series, you'll probably hate the movie. I can't even put a finger on what's wrong. Maybe the absurdity just doesn't translate to modern movie making. Maybe 2 hours just isn't long enough to tell a decent amount of Douglas Adams's story.

The actors were fine. I especially liked Mos Def as Ford Prefect.

The movie started out okay with the demolition scenes (house and Earth) but then it got boring. I actually fell asleep for about a 15 minute stretch. It was THAT bad.

On the other hand, I saw the new XXX movie and it was a barn-burner. That movie was like the anti-thesis of Hitchhiker's - bad acting and bad actors in a kick-ass action flick.

Guest jeremiah

I actually enjoyed it. I went in knowing that there was no way that it would be able to be a faithful reproduction of the novels and was prepared for some liberties with the plot. I thought the whole Trillian bit was overblown, but given the confines of a 2 hour movie and a requirement for a conventional plot (which the books have in name only) it was better than average.

I haven't read the books in several years, but I did read the entire series several times. I would have been happier had they done a Lord of the Rings with this, but I can't see any studio shelling out half a billion bucks for a Hitchhikers series.

My only real gripes were with Marvin (I just can't stand that whiny little can opener, and think he should have been fed to the Ravonous Bugblatter Beast) and with Arthur not being quite wimpy enough.

Jeremiah

I really enjoyed it---though I think Holly thought it a bit "silly," which I took as a compliment. :) I admit I haven't read the book in about 25 years...so the original plot was pretty sketchy in my mind anyway.

You have to admit, the "planet factory" scene was pretty awe-inspiring. And I really appreciated that the producers didn't cast any "name brand" actors in the lead roles (meaning it could have easily been Brad Pitt playing Arthur, given how movie studios work these days...).

And for what it's worth, Douglas Adams had a hand in writing the screenplay. (Well, it's better than some Hollywood hack writing it from scratch.) I actually left the theater singing "So long and thanks for all the fish!" Catchy tune (in a silly sort of way...)

Scott