Note to New Members ×

Wanted to demo: Axis 182

D-Sub

I want to see what a "wide" carver is like...in the back of my mind I think that riding lower angles would suit me

odd request, but does anyone have one they might be willing to loan out? Im sure we could work something out in regards to "insurance" an' all that?

now that I dont have a real carver (except the Hot Blast that Mr. Dryer was so kind to offer) I figured maybe I have some time to try one of these?

dunno. just thought I would throw this out there

My advice would be to just buy one. I love mine. Spent the weekend in Aspen on spring conditions riding my 182 Axis - what a great board for corn and sugar snow. I think it extends my enjoyment of carving an extra month or two in the spring (think

A-basin in May). I also take it out for carving later in the day when the groom is crap, or when there is less than 6" of fresh in regular. Am glad I got the longer length also. A very solid ride and fun, fun, fun.

I saw this on Donek's website

"The number of high-quality retail shops carrying Donek products is growing. In some cases, demo boards may be available. Contact the specific retailer for information.

Bomberonline, Silverthorne, CO – Retail

The Startingate, Bondville, VT– Retail

If you are not located near these stores, you can contact Donek directly. We have a selection of boards that we can make available for demo to interested buyers."

Originally posted by Trip43065

If you just want to play with the wide board concept, try hardbooting on a decent allmountain board. I sometimes ride an Eldorado 174 this way. Lots of fun. Not as stiff as the axis, but it will get the wide board idea across.

right...but 25.5 is a lot wider than 21.5...but yes, you have a point.

Originally posted by Alex Walters

I saw this on Donek's website

"The number of high-quality retail shops carrying Donek products is growing. In some cases, demo boards may be available. Contact the specific retailer for information.

Bomberonline, Silverthorne, CO – Retail

The Startingate, Bondville, VT– Retail

If you are not located near these stores, you can contact Donek directly. We have a selection of boards that we can make available for demo to interested buyers."

yup, already talkin to Sean there. will call tomorrow.

D-Sub,

I bought an axis 177 simply just because it was available and the price was right. Now that I have tried it, it's a KEEPER for sure. It carves really really good (well, on perfect groom, I'd still take my virus but then again that's a different level of a carving board) and it's a hero on slush/choppy snow.

There are so many days when the groomers are not perfect and you definitely need a weapon for those days and axis really delivers!

How well would the axis do in powder? I'm going to Col. (Snowmass probably) with my uni. in December '05. It'll be a new experience for me since I've only been an east-coster. I'm looking for something to pair with my Indys. I already have an OSin 4807 (got it for $130), but I'm curious as to the Axis's performance as well. Still thinking a Tanker would be my best beat over an AM alpine though.

Just curious. Thanks.

DrCR

I picked up a 4807 this week as well but have to wait until next year to ride it.

I got to ride 10" of fresh at Okemo this year on and as I told D-sub, I have ridden pow on both coasts on my freestlye board, but I was completely blown away on how much float and control this board offered. I left my bindngs at the normal location and set my boots in pow mode. Absolute sensation of gliding. after the runs began to get tracked out, it still did well floating and pounding through where it needed to, but once larger mounds began to form, brakes needed applied. plus I was in my 3rd full day of solid top to bottom riding at Okemo. The thighs were done.

The 182 allowed for my easiest turns ever in powder. Wish I had one when I used to make my west coast trips. Wife, house, baby limit those opportunities now.

I cant wait to try the 4807.

Dave, surely you've heard about demoing from Donek. Not sure on the price, but you can demo their boards through the mail, that is if the board you want is available. gdboytyler aka erwin just demoed a free carve 2 and I was suprised at how long he was able to keep the board. Pretty cool program. Check it out.

Guest jeremiah

Hmmm, I also picked up a 4807 recently, and I suspect that it will be my main powder board. That being said, I've had very good luck with my Axis 177 in the powder. It requires a bit more space to turn than a shorter freeride board, but it certainly handles the deep with aplomb.

I was lucky enough to be in Vermont when they got 18" in February, and I found a steep, open glade that was completely untouched. I had been on the same run a couple weeks prior on my old freeride setup, and had a blast. When I took my Axis in there, I was expecting to have to really work it, but the board stays up on top of the snow and really begs to do big, sweeping surfy turns. After riding my Axis in powder, I pretty much decided that my freeride setup is only a rockboard now.

The Axis is not as comfortable in the tight trees, but given the length and the stiffness, I didn't expect it to be. (Vermont tree runs are usually nothing more than very narrow, 1-line mogul runs, with no safety line.)

I've only had my Axis out in open powder one time, and I only had a couple days on it. I was still getting comfortable on plates, and wasn't as confident as I should have been, but it was great in the open powder. I had some trouble with the outrun, but it was basically a very narrow creekbed, and I've had problems on that same outrun on skis and softboots.

Jeremiah

in all honesty Im not concerned about how it might handle in pow. I got a replacement Steepwater 171 for a good price and just LOVE that board, so...thats the all around freeride board

I just dont think I like SUPER stiff carvers, and there's no way Ill be able to afford another COiler (let alone GET one!) so I figured...axis might be a good forgiving carving board.

thanks all for the input tho. its always fun to read storys about fun days!:)

I spent years carving alpine on narrow boards with all sorts of crazy cant setups. I became very comfy on race gear and was even starting to get bored. Then I saw the "extreme carving" site. So I gave it a try and found that I'm not that "extreme." What I also found is that the stance is much more forgiving and I'm having a lot more fun. Now I can stand up and freecarve or get down and throw some classic alpine turns on the same setup. Flexy boots help. I'm using Head boots with Raichele Thermoflex liners. Last year I sold an Axis for a stiffer Donek custom. I love the new board but miss the Axis and will probably look for another one next fall.

And let me tell you it was (MY) money well spent. I still have not had it in any decent pow, but it eats the crud. Thanks, Hall. D, if I get to hood for a possible mini MHES, I will bring my 177 along and you are welcome to give it a spin, O r see if Mike T will give you a spin. OT- Hall are you still considering the move west?

I had my 172 axis out in ~12 inched of fresh in vermont and it was amazing - floated surprisingly well for a carving board. plus it was stable enough to cut through the crud late in the day. Don't know how well it would do in the deeper Colorado stuff though - I'd probably go for something a little wider.

Originally posted by DrCR

I did though. Sorry for the thread hijack. :D

heh...I guess you cant expect someone to come along and actually read what the initial inquiry is about

OT indeed:)

I think I have the info I need...now to talk to donek and see about tryin one out

thanks all!

(and its nice to know it would dig powder if need be:))