Note to New Members ×

Carving action shots with trenches?

SWriverstone

Originally posted by Mike T

Bryan - lemme know when you're coming back - we need to ride together at least once this season. Moving to Bend on May 1! I've made some progress myself this year.

I'll say you made some progress... you were tearing it up at Carve Camp!

Hey Mike. I would like that. I may stop at Bach on the return. Not sure at this point. I think I need to go back down to Mammoth. I was pretty impressed with the area. Seems we are coming and going at just slightly different times. Road Mon, Tues, Wed there this week. Donner Thursday and Heavenly today. Donner Sat then ???? Maybe make Sunday a rest / travel day.

I would likely be back at Bach Tues , Wed in a week from next Weds. Bryan

Bryan - I'll pretty much be around here for most of the time between now and the end of April and Palmer should be rideable most of that time. I'll be at Bachelor on 4/2 - 4/3.

Cross your fingers that it keeps snowing, would love nothing more than to rally together a 1 or 2 day mini-MHES. Sounds like those of us that haven't put away our gear for the season are really itching to do it!

Lonerider- thansk for the compliment, you were ripping hard yourself at camp!

Originally posted by SWriverstone

Just a theory---I'll have to wait 'til next season to study it!

I remain skeptical that in a "perfect" carve (or near-perfect, anyway) with almost 100% unison in tip/tail direction of travel, you'd end up with a giant roostertail.

I mean, I know the snow in the trench has gotta go somewhere...but when I see shots of a 20-foot long, 10-foot high roostertail, it looks cool---but I can't believe that's not being caused by some pretty powerful skidding!

Scott

Here are some tail associated trench without skid...

http://home.primus.ca/~johnvu/SetEdge.jpg

http://home.primus.ca/~johnvu/Spray.jpg

http://home.primus.ca/~johnvu/DigTrench.jpg

http://home.primus.ca/~johnvu/TrenchAfterSpray.jpg

And if done right in the right snow conditions:

http://home.primus.ca/~johnvu/AfterBurnerPatrice.jpg

PS, just learnt to capture from movie, so posting for fun!:rolleyes:

And if you look closely at the trench he's leaving behind in these 3 photos you can see that there's a bit of skidding going on.

I mean, I know the snow in the trench has gotta go somewhere...but when I see shots of a 20-foot long, 10-foot high roostertail, it looks cool---but I can't believe that's not being caused by some pretty powerful skidding!

Scott

I was more referring to the powerful skidding remark. I am not sure how much skidding vs. trench digging (that G-force has to go somewhere)...

Just a theory---I'll have to wait 'til next season to study it!

I remain skeptical that in a "perfect" carve (or near-perfect, anyway) with almost 100% unison in tip/tail direction of travel, you'd end up with a giant roostertail.

Scott

Good luck with your study :)

But for pondering I suggest to look at last pic drzone posted. There it could be clearly seen, that spray starts and is generated mainly from the point, where nose edge touches snow. In case of skidding whole edge would throw snow up, but here you can see tail, meaning that center part and tail are not throwing any snow up. I don't think that such nose skidding would be possible unless one falls, but from roostertail you can say that such turn has continued a while, so it's controlled turn.

Originally posted by Vahur

Good luck with your study :)

But for pondering I suggest to look at last pic drzone posted. There it could be clearly seen, that spray starts and is generated mainly from the point, where nose edge touches snow. In case of skidding whole edge would throw snow up, but here you can see tail, meaning that center part and tail are not throwing any snow up. I don't think that such nose skidding would be possible unless one falls, but from roostertail you can say that such turn has continued a while, so it's controlled turn.

Actually Vahur, I don't think you can tell conclusively from this photo that the roostertail is coming only from the nose...because the rest of the board length is obscured by the roostertail!

It's clear the roostertail starts at the nose...and I believe the increasing amplitude (upward slope) of the roostertail suggests that energy (and more snow) is being added to the plume down the length of the board.

Isn't it fun to analyze silly things like this? :) You can tell I'm not out carving any more. :(

Scott

On issue about spray on carved turns I think is this: If I go through a totally relaxed cerved turn on firm snow, there won't be much spray. There also won't be much decelleration and much control. I just stay centered, change the edge, apply some angulation, some inclination and let the board follow it's path.

Other image: On a steep slope I force my board to bend with a proper aount of vertical dynamics, some forward lean and some pressure in front of front binding. The edge between the nose and the front binding will create huge forces and the whole edge will bend in an "uneven" arc. Add some high edge angles and you will end up with a lot of spray, especially on soft snow.

You know, only 2 ct ;)

Tom