Note to New Members ×

Need advice on Killington...please!

Miguel

I'm going to Killington tomorrow night for three days. I'm in need of a list of the prime carving runs. If it's not asking too much I'd like them broken down into easy...intermediate...and advanced. In other words, I wanna work my way up the food chain. I know Ram's Head is a good place to start but after that I'm pretty much at a loss. Any and all responses appreciated.

Miguel

PS Should I take one day at Pico? I've heard it's less crowded and good for carving.

Easy / uncrowed : Mouse Run at Snowdon

Anything at Rams head - widest - under the lift - easy more crowded-snowshed Intermediate: Chute, Bunny buster at snowdon, Bear Trap, Wildfire at Bear (be careful of jumpers rail sliders at bear) More difficult: Double dipper, Cascade and East Fall at Killington Peak (all of these usually groomed every night these days but they will post a list of what is groomed in am) Have Fun!!

Kathy...thanks for the list. I found them all except the North Ridge (Glades) run. I did see Ridge run....is that the same. In what area would it be located. Super Star appears to be quite wide on the map...is that a good one?

superstar is their "late season" run, that's the one that's open until june. it's usually pretty crowded, but a nice run even so. i agree with the best bet checking the groomed list they post.

similarly, anyone know anything about suicide six? i was considering hitting there sunday in place of killington. is it mickey mouse, or a real mountain?

cheers,

chris

I will be there this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I will look out for you. What color clothing will you be wearing? I have an orange jacket and black pants. I have a new pair of hard boots that I hope to use this weekend probally saturday. It's been at least 2 years (mabye more)since i have been in hard boots. Friday i will be riding a Volkl Cross and soft boots. I hope to get the boot liner molded and fitted on Friday night ready for saturday.

Robert

Robert...I'll look for you. I'll be sporting a turquoise/black Mountain Hardwear Jacket with matching (natch!) pants and helmet.:D My quiver will include the following options: good condition=Donek FC, Fair conditions=Coiler AM W/red/yellow flames(natch), crummy conditions (or when running with skiers)=Donek Incline! I'll probably start at Ramshead and move from there. I understand the "Breakfast Club" (an informal group of carvers) meets there first thing in the morning.

Thanks to all for their input, especially about not hopping around among the different areas.

Remember...one good turn deserves another...and another...and another!

Miguel

Miguel,

The folks normally meet and do runs at snowdon first thing in the morning. I hope to try and bet there first thing Saturday. I am with a group of adults and kids so it might be difficult to break free. but i am hoping to meet up with 2 folks saturday morning at snowdon. I will keep my eyes open for you.

Robert

Needles eye from panic button(?) (top of the needles eye quad)... big and wide intermediate to easy. Can pat yourself on the back as you gaze at your carves from the gondola ride up :cool:

Skyburst, under the sky peak quad would be a good intermediate+ run. I'm scared of Bear nowadays though... too many skidders coming up from behind.

Both places do tend to bump up later in the day though....

More importantly though, DO try Pico! Pico rules. Great carving. I could just run Pike (main upper run, under summit lift) all day long, top to bottom (advanced on upper section). It has the continuous slope and uninterupted runs that K really lacks.

I'll be there Friday, maybe saturday. Second wknd on hardboots... first day my first carving board (Donek FCII 171)! I'd be the SUPER LONG LEGGED SKINNY GOON with orange jacket, black pants, black Donek. Hope I see some of you there... enjoy.

p.s. I think Vin works at Out of Bounds (with Basin ski). Darkside is... uh... let's say... the least likely to carry alpine gear ;)

________

SIDE EFFECTS OF NEXIUM

Kmartshopper

From one long legged skinny goon to another....I think I will give Pico a try. I'll look for you on that run.I've only been there once many years ago but remember it as being very boarder friendly and less crowded.

Robert...I get Snowden and Rams head mixed up...just another senior moment. (: Thanks for the clarification.

Miguel

Ooops... sorry Miguel, I phrased my post poorly... I'll actually be at K Friday. I'll be with a couple softbooters, but may drift off because I'll be getting used to the alpine board and they'll probably want to do woods.

I typically do Pico on saturdays, because as you indicate, it's much less crowded. If you're up for the 3 days, you may consider fri=K, sat=Pico, sun=pickem'.

Either way, I'll keep an eye out... not many carvers at Killington. I doubt I've seen more than 10 all year. I've seen one woman, at the opposite end of the tall and lanky spectrum, carving up snowdon nicely a couple times. Other than that, just a few random riders.

Enjoy the weekend!

________

UHWH

Sunday is Pico's last day. I will be there probably Saturday.

Look for me on a Donek with a bunch of kids following trying to carve on skis.

Killington is better on Sundays. It is a party crowd there and after partying all night, most don't wake up and show at the mountain until 11. I like superstar and ovation. Not too crowded especially when the powder is off and there is styrofoam left to carve.

Looks like Killington got about 2" of fresh...should be outstanding carving conditions this weekend! I'm outa here in about ten minutes! Will keep an eye out for any and all anorexic looking boards! Woo hoo...I'm stoked!

Miguel