Note to New Members ×

decided to board to day and then get some fishin' in

AaronG

Met up with gdbytyler today at Bear Mtn. today (Jim Pryor, where were you?). Had a good session in the morning once things started to soften up. Gdbytyler was throwin down the Eurocarves and I was bootin' out whenever it got steep. I adjusted my angles a bit and tried to rip it up again. This next time I was more succesful.

Gdbytyler and I decided on a board swap around 11:30, by the time we got back on the snow it seemed to turn to mashed taters. WE took a few more runs and I decided to do other things. Gdbytyler strapped on his softie gear and went and had a blast in the park.

Thanks for riding with me today gdbytyler, hopefully we can ride more in the future.

All in all it was a great day. Oh, BTW I had my float tube in my car along with my fishing gear and decided to hit Big Bear Lake after the carving session.

This is what I wil be doing once the snow melts!!! For all you fly fisherman out there the fish fell to a brown wooly booger. It was caught and released unharmed along with 8 of its brothers and sisters.

IMG_0070.jpg

Yeah, had a great time at Bear today. My legs were more tired than I thought. I was only good for a few runs through the park. My slalom board wore me out. Also, the superpipe was pretty hacked up on one side.

I took another break and went over to Summit for a couple more runs on my GS board.

We should be able to get together for another day before the end of the season. Maybe get a couple more carvers to join us.

Once the snow melts or gets too slushy, I'll be surfing a lot more. My surfboard has been getting neglected this winter.

Nice trout but lets not be to hasty on catch and release. Its good to keep a few trout every once in a while. Where I live, trout are mainly a stocked fish. There aren't to many natives around. Most of them are brook trout and small. I don't know if I would throw that one back. It probably would have ended up on my dinner table.I like the idea of riding in the morning and fishing in the afternoon. I did that last year, although I fish for bass. Bass are cacth and release only for me, not trout.

I've been flyfishing and tying my own flies for years. I think it's the "anti-adrenaline" thing to do, or the "antidote" to carving! :) I love fishing for trout...but my favorite is summer flyfishing (wet wading) for smallmouth bass with poppers on the Potomac, Shenandoah and Susquehanna rivers...nothing better!

BTW, I only flyfish rivers and streams...lakes are dull! ;)

Scott

Nice Rainbow!

Brown Woolly Bugger, especially the beadhead is my favourite fly (besides Addams when I dry-fly). It caught most of my fish, even when I lived in South Africa. Works for Bass too.

Moving water is nicer to flyfish, but I do lakes (and sea with less success) too. I do not do tying.

This "Flyfishing Carvers" topic deserves a separate tread for summer.

Boris

Yep, I agree---the bead-head wooly bugger is a great fly! Works well for smallmouth on the rivers in the mid-Atlantic too. I still prefer surface flies (dries, poppers) --- way more fun when the fish strikes! :)

Though purists almost consider it cheating, I'm a big fan of Clouser minnows (see below) --- I've caught big trout and bass on those. They're brain-dead easy to tie too. (Just some bead-chain or weighted eyes, bucktail and flashabou tied to a streamer hook.)

Scott

PS - LOL, yeah, maybe we should start a separate flyfishing thread for summer! :)

clouser_minnow.jpg

Originally posted by oldvolvosrule

Fleaman, that particular trout was 20", I caught 9 trout yesterday and not one under 18". It was a great day!!!!

You did well. Here in the Okanagan the smaller lakes don't usually offer up anything more than 15 or 16 inches. But the odd lunker does get caught. Some of the trophy catch and release lakes I have heard of up to 20 lbs.

BTW, I only flyfish rivers and streams...lakes are dull!

There are a few rivers in the area, but the Lakes are where the trout are at. Around here anyways. I usually troll flies in my boat because my wife cannot cast very well. (she is my fishing partner). She even has her own float tube and waders.:)

Guest James Pryor

Told Gdbytyler I was out in Palm Springs visiting mom. The one day I am not on my hill and there are hardbooters! Would of loved to of seen your take on Silver. Yes today was fun until about 1. Left the full DNA Helix trenches for others to fall into. Someones got to do it.

Originally posted by James Pryor

... Would of loved to of seen your take on Silver. Yes today was fun until about 1. Left the full DNA Helix trenches for others to fall into. Someones got to do it.

Carving at Bear is more challenging than carving at Snow Summit. Steeper pitches at Bear and narrower runs. Now that I've gotten better, I do prefer carving at Bear.

I only threw down the Euro-carves occasionally. I saved those for Geronimo and that one steep section just off the main run. Only about half of my Euro-carve attempts were successful.

I'll be at Bear again on Saturday. So James, if your not busy doing family stuff during Easter weekend, lets get some runs in together.

Forecast indicates more fine boilerplate for early Sat. morning.

My demo board (Freecarve II 163) from Donek arrived today and I can't wait to try it out.

I haven't gone fishing since elementary school. My brothers are big into fishing, but I never got into it. I'm more likely to do the surf/snowboard combo in one day.