Note to New Members ×

Burton Wind

Guest Redman

Guest Redman

I'm looking for info on Winds. Didn't find too much in the forum search. I will be a new carver but have ridden softies for a long time. I weigh between 165 and 170. I have an 8.5 foot, 26.6 or so mondo with normal width.

Any impressions good, bad or indifferent woul be a help.

Thanks,

Red

Redman, I have a pr. of Winds (red/grey) that I ride. I love em. YOu will probably hear people here bash the liners of the boots but I have never had a problem with them. They fit my foot well and they seem to hold up very nicely. One of the features that I like is the 4 position lever in the back. Leave the lever up for a soft flexing boot to ride the pow. Flip the lever down to enjoy a boot with more forward lean and a bit stiffer to rip the groomers.

I tried Raichle's in the past and they just don't seem that comfortable to me. Yes, I did have the liners baked to see if that would cure the fit of the boot.

...they ALL crack eventually. I've found mine to crack after about that same 50 or so days mentioned above. The trick is to notice the crack (if no longer under warranty) soon enough, and drill a small hole at the end of it to stop it from continuing. Fill the hole with flexible silicone caulk if it is in a place where it causes leaks. I got another 50-60 days out of my last burtons this way before they just died completely. but it depends how hard you ride too. Those boots spent a LOT of days in the bumps and got treated VERY roughly.

Redman,

I have a pair from 1999 season, blue and white. I put 200+ days on them. They did develope cracks in the toe area. To prevent the spread I drilled small holes at the end of the cracks. I also bought a new pair from the 2002 season. This was the last year Burton made them. I have had no trouble with them. Iv'e had two full seasons on them 65-70 days. I would tell you to get a pair but since Burton no longer manufatures these boots it will be difficult to get parts for them if they break. Klug does have some stuff and parts but last time I checked his site, most of the stuff was sold out.

shells

also look at the Fire its just slightly stiffer I found them interchangable with the wind except on warm days the wind seems a bit softer

Burton boots don't scare boot techs like the Raichle boots do because the fire and wind are built like a ski boot

I ride the furnace, wind and fire all pretty much the same boot and all rip

in particular if you ride high angles

what I don't like are the liners on the last two years they made them and the cants on the older boots from pre '99 were easy to bend but they would not fail the raichle SBs

so yeah get em if they are cheap

Guest Redman

Thanks for the tip Mirror, I 'll keep that in mind. I read the boot sizing tips in the Bomber store and am pretty sure I should be in a 26 as my foot measures about 26.5 cm's. Regardless, I hope to be able to try on some different models before I make my final decision.

Red