Note to New Members ×

NES 2020

Brooks1

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I’m going to be at Big White last week of January with Donnagail and a bunch of old friends. 

I’ll be interested to hear what the resort is like. I’m headed there for the first time in early March for a BX race, and am getting excited about being there for a week! It’ll be my first taste of Canadian snow too! 

Have fun! 

Big White is a great hill!  It is the 2nd largest resort in BC, after Whistler/Blackcomb.  It is not as pretty/rugged as other Canadian resorts, for the real Canadian experience I highly recommend you visit Banff sometime.

There is a wide variety of terrain, from easy cruising up to a few hairy double blacks.   You should give "The Cliff" a shot if conditions are good.  There's good glades if trees are your thing.  They get a lot of snow, and because of that visibility is often not great.  The nickname is "Big Whiteout".  Bring some good low-light goggles.

It's a great family hill due to all the on-mountain accommodation.  You can rent a nice ski-in/ski-out condo for reasonable money, and they have an excellent ski school/daycare combo.  Most people stock up on groceries and booze in Kelowna, but if you run short there's shops in the village.  They have a number of good restaurants and bars.  You should check out Snowshoe Sam's, a great ski bar that's been around forever.