Note to New Members ×

What tool am i supposed to use to remove this cuff? (Atomic Backlands)

Mr_Orange

Does anyone know what tool to use to remove the cuff from the inside? The outside is just a simple torx bit. Here's the inside nut:

1974283531_cuffinnernut.jpg.fc5b3351a3ae76fa7a78dfb5a7ac528f.jpg

I thought a socket wrench was going to work for the inside, but the inner nut is really flat/shallow. The filleted edge of my socket bit doesn't seem to really grab onto it. I don't really want to put in a lot of force either and risk stripping it. Here's my socket bit:

20190309_184545.jpg.d1b22c91f5eebc58c3f9d6cd895f97f2.jpg

There's got to be something for this.

I guess i can just drill it out too like i've done with other boots that just use rivets, but it seems with the outer torx bit they designed it with the intention of easy removal.

I'd use an adjustable wrench.  i.e. a Crescent wrench.  Pay attention to the nut closely.  Stop if there is any slippage.  Hold the nut, turn the torx.  

If you think you'll be doing this often, get a 6-point socket and grind it down.  

didn't even consider just a normal adjustable wrench. I though coming in at an angle, you'd barely grab onto it. i'll try it once i get home.

Maybe with a mini one you can actually put it all the way in there and grab it perpendicular.

i like the grind down a 6-point socket idea. I though they might've even sold something like that.

UPZ internal T-nuts are similar, though square and steel.  Even just the corners of an adjustable wrench were enough to hold them as the screws are pretty small/can't deliver much torque.  

Use care and monitor for any slippage of the wrench.  Not idiot proof!  

Are you sure it’s not a bolt that just presses out, and the inner shoulders are just to keep it from spinning when the outer torx is tightened?   

UPZ uses one of these for the instep strap on later models:

tonguebolt1.jpg.88ec49ac500fb3b9318edf780ccb89de.jpg

Twisting that would be “undesirable”.

Thrift stores and stores like Habitat for Humanity have a tool section where you can get orphan sockets real cheap. Like Corey said grab one and grind it down to fit the situation. Or you can take a $20. Snap On socket and do the same. than try to get warranty on it when it breaks later in it's life ! 1/4 drive socket tend to have thinner sidewall than the 3/8 you show in the post.