Note to New Members ×

Top speeds?

Stainless

I had cause to let fly on my Volant 162 today. Straight-lined it down the hill. I have never gone so fast on a board - but from riding road-bikes, I'd guess I was at 45mph+. (I'll take a GPS receiver next time). I was scared and grinning all at the same time.

So you racers: I was nailing the big heelside carves at that speed - sweet. But the toeside - the air resistance to my chest and shoulders was pushing me up and off from over the edge - like leaning into a gale (Beaufort 8?). I could not get on top of the edge to initiate the carve.

What's the trick to it? Randy?

Truth be known - I never thought much about longer GS boards. I like squiggling down the hill with short carves. But how big a difference is it having another 10-15cm in length? I love the Volant - it's heavy - I've always believed it feels longer than it really is - but I can only compare it to an Alp and an UltraPrime, and those things were noodles.

What am I missing? (Apart from a quiver).

Guest Randy S.

You need to keep your chest low when going really fast. Basically your whole body should be crouched in a bullet if you want to maintain maximum edge control. That said, I sometimes do it fully standing up. I'm not really sure what actual speeds are in a carve. I'm certain I've turned at over 50 or even 60 mph, but above that I'd say that turning is not common. I certainly love the speed also. The fastest I've been clocked is 69 (I'm pretty sure I've gone faster, just not with a radar gun around). I've been clocked at 60 on a Volkl RT 163 so you can go fast on a shorter board. Its just more stable on a longer board. Oh, and high-speed carves are way more stable on longer boards. Next season let's do a speed day somewhere. I'll be at Alpine the first weekend in April if you want to come over and try out one of my longer boards.

Thank you Randy - April 2 I have to fly out of town - but I could always take a late flight I guess. I'll chase you down if I can do it.

My boss would have kittens if he knew I was sliding around at 60mph on the day I'm supposed to fly out to work...

It's not quite what you asked, but the trick to going really fast, or so I'm told, is not to bother with turning at all. Think 2m boards, blunt edges. Speed boarders also have their hands in front rather than behind, as they trim using their hands. Here's a chap on production kit (Sims Burner) at about 130km/h

A19S20803.jpg

One of the pro patrollers invented a little 10-item task sheet for the patrol - to better learn the mountain - fill in time during the quiet midweek. Y'know, who can traverse from point A, to the highest point on point B kind of thing, some sled-work as well.

But 5 of the tasks, are just all-out balls to the wall speed runs. "Nobody's to get hurt" is one of the rules, but you bring out a stopwatch, and out comes the testosterone...

I have never gone so fast - it was so freakin' scary, but I loved it. So, I need a GS board in my quiver - if only just for the 50+ seconds I need on 'Popular'. We had a blast yesterday - there were patrollers all over the hill in racing tucks, just smoking the runs. Anybody watching must have wondered how many emergencies could there be in a day?

Woo-hoo. Who said patrollers are up-tight, stuck-up wankers?

Guest Mike Ford

I got clocked doing mid-to-high 60's at an event a few years ago (think it was the Nippon Open, can't really remember). It took; a speedsuit, hitting the wax right, and pretty much just pointing it down the hill. I can tell you unequivocably that most people who claim speeds like that are most often mistaken, if you open up your body at that speed....goodbye. It's one of those things that was a lot of fun, but not something that wouldn't be very bright to try unless the hill is closed, cause if there's something on the hill in front of you, it's damned hard to turn around it and near impossible to stop in time to avoid it.

Everyone should try it at least once :)

67mph on a 158 Madd from the top of the speed ski course.

Then I borrowed Sean Martin's Donek and started way way way up beyond the start of the speed area. I was going about 40 when I entered the top of the start of the trap- the wind roar just kept getting louder and louder-.

wind noise had me pegged around 80mph. It was pretty deafening. the main concern was staying perfectly aero without losing your balance or nerve. Standing up and doing the Christ pose- immediately wind braked you to about 45mph.

Vin Queneville hit the high 50's to low 60's .....in soft boots.

It was easy as the snow was the smoothest I've ever ridden and prepped for this. Ajax in Aspen.

________

Vapor genie vaporizer

Randy's speed gun said I was going 51 mph when I was in Tahoe last year. No real preparation, just "hey, anybody want to get clocked?" We found a couple of nice steep straight spots and bombed them.

I doubt I go over 35 most days. Maybe 25.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by kamran

On the way to the snowboarding speed record

we need caption,..how fast is that guy going?

LUDICROUS Speed (anyone remember Spaceballs, The Movie?).

He went over 200kph.

I get a woody looking at pictures like that.

His stance looks a bit open to me in this shot.

Speed courses are steep, but I think a little photoshop tilting may have occured there. Ditto the speed blur - you can't blur the rider without blurring the board also. The blur in front of his left hand is particularly interesting.

How do you stop?

They steer with the fingers. They stop by gradually uncurling and eventually standing up with arms outstretched.

I was shooting one of these events the other week and the only minor crash was way down in the decelleration area. The rider was way down below and had been breaking for sometime before he caught an edge and shot off into the netting. He hit the safety nets and took a whoe section of them out. He was uninjured. I was just impressed as if they crashed that hard when they'd almost stopped, it kind of emphasized how fast they'd been going earlier.

(Said with a smile.) You guys are nuts---seriously. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference how experienced or talented you are---if something goes wrong at that speed, you're a vegetable (or worse). I sure hope none of you guys with wife and kids is doing this stuff. I'd be TICKED if I knew my dad offed himself from something so incredibly stupid! :) (And saying "He died doing what he loves!" is a lame excuse...)

Just making sure to inject a little common sense here... :)

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by SWriverstone

(Said with a smile.) You guys are nuts---seriously. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference how experienced or talented you are---if something goes wrong at that speed, you're a vegetable (or worse). I sure hope none of you guys with wife and kids is doing this stuff. I'd be TICKED if I knew my dad offed himself from something so incredibly stupid! :) (And saying "He died doing what he loves!" is a lame excuse...)

Just making sure to inject a little common sense here... :)

Scott

Interestingly, as I understand it, few people get badly injured speed skiing. The worst injuries are burns. Yes, burns. They slide at 100mph+ on the snow wearing thin rubber suits. The friction gives them 3rd degree burns. I've heard of the suit peeling off with skin after a crash like that.

It had to happen... I biffed my new 4x4 at speed. In skipatrol colours no less.

Bounced 50+ yards, face-planted, bloodied nose, and a small, but inconvenient fracture to my R distal radius.

No witnesses - I started to radio my own accident - and then realised I'd forgotten the name of the run I was on (uh-oh).

Cleaned myself up, bagged the blood and snow, and made it down to first aid self-propelled. Which was lucky for me, because if the guys I patrol with had found me, they'd've put me on a backboard just for the glee of strapping me down.

No more speed runs for me.

And yes I was wearing a helmet - I'm certain it saved me from a real concussion.