Note to New Members ×

In the back seat

patmoore

Technique question

For years my early season riding has resulted in a lot of quad burn on the front leg.  For some reason this year it occurred on the rear leg.  Well into the season, I still notice it after a long day of riding.   I also find myself skidding  a little bit on heelside turns especially on steeper pitches.

I'm making a conscious effort to get my weight more forward but not seeing any change.  My bindings on all my boards are centered on the mounting holes.  Would moving the bindings fore or aft help or should I focus more on correcting my technique?

Pat, you went and changed a knee and expected that nothing would change?

Where in the turn are you skidding? As part of exploration take some steps back and review the norm on more moderate terrain.  I know that this isn't where you are experiencing it,  but take some cruising runs and observe the feedback that you are getting from the board. 

Investigate technique. I am not dismissing the set up aspect,  but without having a fuller understanding of what you are experiencing that could be equivalent to slapping gauze on a bullet wound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would try a little more heel lift or a little less toe lift. Exactly what you describe would be something that would cause me to adjust my lift set up a bit. 

Other than that, unconscious fear can also put me in the back seat and being in the back seat keeps me from feeling comfortable until I push through it. Bad loop. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2019 at 6:17 PM, patmoore said:

I also find myself skidding  a little bit on heelside turns especially on steeper pitches.

I'm making a conscious effort to get my weight more forward but not seeing any change.  My bindings on all my boards are centered on the mounting holes.  

More forward will often lead to skid. Especially on a heelside, and especially on steeper terrain, where timing is often compromised by perception/psychological factors.

Geometric center is not always the same thing as 'functional center' and it sounds like your move toward the tail is partly a search for the latter.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:17 PM, patmoore said:

Would moving the bindings fore or aft help or should I focus more on correcting my technique?

A little of both. Move your clamps back one setting and see what happens. Interesting things take place when a failing joint is replaced with something functional, and the pain is gone or significantly diminished.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:05 PM, alpinegirl said:

Pat, you went and changed a knee and expected that nothing would change?

Where in the turn are you skidding? As part of exploration take some steps back and review the norm on more moderate terrain.  I know that this isn't where you are experiencing it,  but take some cruising runs and observe the feedback that you are getting from the board. 

Investigate technique. I am not dismissing the set up aspect,  but without having a fuller understanding of what you are experiencing that could be equivalent to slapping gauze on a bullet wound. 

Sound advice!  Thanks for reminding me that I'm now bionic.  I hope to put into place all the suggestions tomorrow.