Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 2018/2019

lonbordin

Back to the Peaks with my kid and our friend... 

Weather was ~55f on arrival. It did cool off as the evening progressed and the snow did firm up some.  Everyday feels like a bonus day.

I rode the soft lil' Coiler tonight. Why? Because I knew the runs would be even narrower than before.

Roast me:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5IDE0zGOvQRYmZySHVycWd4M0RCQnYxNWwxV09Pa3YzdUdV/view?usp=drivesdk

I had a blast.

Edited by lonbordin
I was rear foot dominant... So afraid of folding the nose in the soft stuff
  • Like 2

Went Friday morning hoping it was firm with the below freezing temps at night. Nope. Still had fun... soft and slow tho...

Went today.  3 inches on top of soft made the soft firm up a good bit. Snowed most of the day today.  Man that little Coiler VSR can do big, fast, and powerful turns... very impressive.  I had a blast really scarred up the hill... my trenches were deep.

That's the last of my Paoli season.  They'll close next weekend and it's very doubtful they'll be open M-Th this week.  I'm off to the PNW Wednesday.

Only got 18 trips, all time low for me.  Next year.

ZUMjMRT.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
sigh.

Last Day... 4 me @ Paoli.

So this season has been an experiment in practice for me.  I decided at the start of the season to stroll through the forest of alpine snowboarding.  Bomber style to Pure Boarding I was going to sample all of them. Flat, Lift, Cant, different stance widths and all abstractions I was going to try it.  And so I did.  I didn't do it for a review or to guide others to one their path this was a selfish exercise for me as is this post so I can refer back to it in the future.

My happiest place was +47.5 front (1 f2 large block of lift, no cant) and +40 rear (1 lg block and two cant shims stacked + one cant shim[inward]) with a 55cm stance width.  

Other things I found out a long the way:

• I don't like 45 degrees in the front or back, seems to hit a irritating spot in the UPZs for me.
  • I like Geckos WAY more than I like full plates
  • I like F2's more than I like my TD3SWs
  • I freakin' love VSR
  • I'm really not into face flapping speed anymore
  • I like the orange springs in my UPZs over a stiffer tongue
  • Putting a little sticky neoprene under my rear heel takes away that floaty feeling.
  • Duprazes are weird... I kinda wish the sidecut started a little further forward.
  • I know what I want my quiver to look like. :eek:  Upcoming sales imminent.
  • Softboots still suck, for me.  To get stiffness I need a shell that deforms and that deformation targets my ankle, no bueno.
  • I can go with a pretty thin liner in a really tight fit.  Who knew? (Ok Erik did... doesn't count.)
  • Gore-Tex is better than Hy-Vent
  • Being able to park mere steps from the hill makes up for the hill being so small.
  • That lil' Coiler was a revelation... what a fortunate buy!
  • I like more turns than less...
  • Over 55 degrees of angle doesn't feel like snowboarding
  • Surfing the snow is where it's at.

Zipper cord from 1700-2000 tonight. Rode the Kessler w/Apex plate and the Coiler Pure Race with Bomber plate.  Both of these boards need more room than Paoli can afford.  Coiler is jacket flapping fast while the Kessler is face flapping face.  Muh gawd... so fast.

7HZM1n0.jpg

Looking forward to Oregon and Washington. W00t!

Edited by lonbordin
May you all have the best carving of your life.
  • Like 1