Note to New Members ×

Burton shadow bindings

nuisanceIV

Hey guys after using the search function I couldn't really seem to find what I was looking for, so here it goes:

I ran across a pair of burton shadows today, I've been hunting for a hardboot setup for a while. I already have a BX board I can use so all I need is bindings.

Know which bindings are compatible with these boots? I read something about them not being compatible with Intec whatever that is?

I saw some Burton race plate bindings on ebay, but it seems they're being sold with the three hole screw disks, could I just plop any ol' 4-hole one in there?

Thanks.

Those are really old boots. Moving on: There are two types of bindings for hardboots, standard (with a front bail you close and open manually) and step-in (where you step onto the binding and a mechanism engages and locks automatically). Intec is the only step-in system that really matters anymore. It consists of boot heels with retractable lateral bolts and bindings with corresponding holes. Some riding styles are less well suited for using step-ins than others.

The Shadows will fit any non-intec, standard bail binding. Center disks are generally proprietary, so no, you cannot use any disk with the race plates. The race plates and parts for them are still manufactured and sold by Carve Company. They are not cheap, though.

Those Shadow boots are 15+ years old so no promises on them holding up. If you enjoy the HB experience good boots should be on the top of your list.

I recall some off size Burton disks for specialty bindings, but my memory isn't what it used to be. Otherwise the disks for that vintage Burton bindings will fit. I used to have a stack of them; people would buy bindings and when I installed them I just kept the unused disks in a box. There are likely shops across around the world with a box of them.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:25 AM, nuisanceIV said:

Yeah, basically, if the disk fits: I can use it. Is what I was wondering. 

I was worried the disks for these hardboot bindings are special(even though they look the same)

The disks are the same as the other burton bindings from back then.