Note to New Members ×

Boot-Binding Interface Dimensions

Mord

I'd assume the interface between the boot and the binding (the protruding front and end) is standardized. The problem is how it is standardized. Do anyone know of the specific dimensions for the parts or where to look for them? There ought to be an ISO if it is officially standardized.

32 minutes ago, charliechocolate said:

I think this is what you're after

I have in fact bought that document. It only specified the testing methods for the binding to be safe, but did not say the exact dimensions of the binding attachment. It's still useful, but I won't get to it until very late in the development process.

51 minutes ago, charliechocolate said:

looking through DIN instead of ISO.

Thank you for suggesting it! I looked through the DIN search list, and it turns out every snowsports related standard is a duplicate of an ISO standard. I'll try to find a library that has a subscription to the standards, if nothing works out. I got the ISO because I think either Catek or F2 (or both) mentioned them using the ISO standard layout for the binding, and I'm pretty sure any boot that works on a Bomber also works on an F2. 

Update: I found the correct ISO document. It is ISO 11634:1996, available on www.iso.org and other standard businesses. The document is around 38 dollars equivalent on ISO and 45 dollars on ANSI. 

Note that boot shell external shape and toe bail shape varies. I run Intec bindings and the F2 toe bail follows the UPZ RC 10 boot shell toe curve beautifully, while the Bomber TD3 Intec has only a couple of contact points.

My guess is that it is more challenging to create a perfectly fitting bail, since it is a series of curves. Perhaps Bomber took the easier route of not following the curve perfectly. It might create a few stresspoints on the boot, but I don't see that much of a practical difference.