Note to New Members ×

Possible to convert a brake controller to detachable?

Dan

So, I didn't know anything about trailers or towing when I got our Subie set up to tow our teardrop, and I especially didn't know that the damn brake controller was going to hit my knee all year long just so we could use it for three months in the summer. We had it done at Uhaul, and they put the brake controller in a very standard location by the driver's right knee, where you can reach it for adjustments and manual trailer braking if needed. It's fixed - screwed to a mounting bracket which is screwed to the dash. 

If I had done some research up front, I might have found out that there are unpluggable / detachable brake controllers, which would have made a whole lot more sense for us. Does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit, or would that require a whole new installation? 

My other option (actually, might be my first option) will be to look for a detachable mounting bracket that clips on or something like that so I can move the brake controller out of the way for the bulk of the year when it's not in use. I haven't seen anything stock from Tekonsha, but I need to check the controller model and look again -- otherwise, I think I might be able to McGyver something. 

All wisdom appreciated! 

Dan, those Tekonsha controllers have an accelerometer inside and can be mounted horizontally or vertically.  The unit needs to be oriented properly in either case, i,e. not sideways.  Normally there is a harness adaptor that mates with the wiring for your car to the controller.  Hard to say how it was installed and if this harness connector is accessible; though it could be hard wired to the vehicle also.  Getting under the dash of Subaru's can be a bit difficult and cramped.  You could mount the device with some sturdy Velcro or a mount that could be removed, it does need to be mounted fairly rigidly to the vehicle so it does not flop around and receives proper input as you are braking.  The original bracket is such that you must remove the controller via two pins on either side, then you would need to remove the bracket itself (I'd rather hit my knee on the controller than the thin bracket).  It is best to have the device located so you can reach it to make delay and gain adjustment due to a change in trailer weight.

1 hour ago, BLOODTYPEZX10R said:

Dan, those Tekonsha controllers have an accelerometer inside and can be mounted horizontally or vertically.  The unit needs to be oriented properly in either case, i,e. not sideways.  Normally there is a harness adaptor that mates with the wiring for your car to the controller.  Hard to say how it was installed and if this harness connector is accessible; though it could be hard wired to the vehicle also.  Getting under the dash of Subaru's can be a bit difficult and cramped.  You could mount the device with some sturdy Velcro or a mount that could be removed, it does need to be mounted fairly rigidly to the vehicle so it does not flop around and receives proper input as you are braking.  The original bracket is such that you must remove the controller via two pins on either side, then you would need to remove the bracket itself (I'd rather hit my knee on the controller than the thin bracket).  It is best to have the device located so you can reach it to make delay and gain adjustment due to a change in trailer weight.

Thanks Mark! Yep, I know about mounting orientation, and this controller is a little more limited in what it will tolerate, but I still have options. Agreed that the controller is better than the bracket, that thing would hurt, especially in an accident. Velcro is a great idea - there's enough slack in the cable that I can move it to the side out of the way and then put it in its original location when I'm actually towing.