Note to New Members ×

Hello, I'm new and need some advice

ellisdeez

Hey everyone.  So I'm just finishing my first season snowboarding.  I learned on a medium-flex rocker dominant board and I'm currently trying to decide between upgrading to a stiffer camber (softboot) board or buying an Alpine setup.

I have zero interest in freestyle riding.  All I want to do is carve and ride powder when possible.  I've been reading up a bit on Alpine gear and it sounds like I need a board in the upper 170s lengthwise since I weigh around 215lbs. The thing is I also have weirdly short legs (28-29" inseam) and I'm worried about being able to even stand comfortably on a board that long.

Anyway, I suppose I'm looking for tips on gear you think would be suitable for me, as well as any tips/reading/etc about switching from soft to hard boots.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ellisdeez

Where do you live? What are the conditions like? I spent my first year in soft boots and the next 7 or 8 after that in hard boots exclusively on a wide variety of boards. It worked for me because we got more groomer days than powder days on the average. While I can and will go into steep, deep, and trees with hard boots, over the last 30 years I've decided that center stance, duck mounted soft boots on a twin tip board gives one far more options in all types of riding except carving. 

A stiffer camber soft boot board will be a smoother transition, allow you to explore creating movement below the knees, and give you more options given the weather. A hard boot carving setup will dictate your focus more towards groomers and upper body alignment. I say you should have both... and since you already have the rocker...  Right? 

There are formulas that those who know, know. Your physical make up can be accommodated through board selection. This is the right place to find help with that, I'm just not the best guy to answer that and will leave it to those more practiced.

Edited by MarkJeangerard

I live in Michigan, in the Upper Peninsula.  We get much more snow than the rest of the midwest (around 250-300 inches yearly) so we do get some amazing powder days but far more groomer days. I was thinking I'd keep the soft boot gear for powder days and potentially get a hard boot rig for groomer days.  I'm just a little wary of the cost - I want to be sure I'm looking for the right things before pulling the trigger.

17 hours ago, ellisdeez said:

I live in Michigan, in the Upper Peninsula.  We get much more snow than the rest of the midwest (around 250-300 inches yearly) so we do get some amazing powder days but far more groomer days. I was thinking I'd keep the soft boot gear for powder days and potentially get a hard boot rig for groomer days.  I'm just a little wary of the cost - I want to be sure I'm looking for the right things before pulling the trigger.

I used to live in MI for long time and used to go to Nubs or Boyne Mtn/Highlands. I enjoyed carving at those area as I never had powder days that I could not use hardboots.

I would start with slalom board (shorter board: 163cm) to start with. I had a friend who weighs 210lbs and used Donek Proteus 163cm (made for +/-170lbs rider) to learn more carving but now he has out grown it. Although the board was not meant for him, he said he learned a lot to feel the board bend and techniques. And shorter boards are easier to find on this website with good price IMO. And for the boots and bindings, I would just buy something you can get hands on with good price. It is hard to know if you will like hardbooting or not without trying at first :)

8 minutes ago, ellisdeez said:

@yamifumi thanks for the tips!  I wasn't sure how smart/safe it was too size down on board length.  So generally speaking, shorter length and smaller side cut radius = tighter turns?  

Yeap and I think it is easier to learn on short board than longer one. You can always get it at later time. I had a friend who is 6'3" and started with 180cm length board but he said it was very difficult. Plus you need to find a space to let the board run and MI ski area isn't as wide as CO ski areas. He said he learned alot on shorter board (163cm) and get used to the feel of the edge given by alpine board.

It also depends on SCR too. I have 185cm 13-17m SCR and that is more nimble and turney than my friend's 180cm 11.5-19m SCR IMO.

Edited by yamifumi

Just to throw my 2 øre in the ring, whatever size board you get, if you do go the hard-boot/alpine board path you want to start on a free carving board as opposed to a racing board.  You want something that is willing to turn but without immediately accelerating to Mach speed if you are uncareful.

If you are coming from a rocker-dominated background, maybe you want to consider a board with decamber in the nose and tail instead of a pure camber board.  

Lots of good late-night reading here, and welcome aboard!

Edited by st_lupo

By and large, yes. There were some issues in the past, but these days, any current binding should accept any current boot. Most plate bindings will also take most ski boots with no or small modifications. Note that if you want to use an Intec (step-in) binding you will use Intec heels for the boots.