Note to New Members ×

Binding Angles too low?

RDY_2_Carve

Originally posted by jason_watkins

Try no cant.

And trying stuff out on your carpet doesn't count. For example, the other weekend my gf started on a new hardboot rig, and she started out with one of those burton cants on her rear foot. I warned her it looked like her knees were a bit close, and she wouldn't like it on the hill, but she decided to try it. After one day, she took it off, and though it doesn't feel as cozy on the carpet, she definately prefers it on the hill.

I've found that what feels good on snow feels "too wide and too flat" on carpet... the board ios not arced when you stand on it flat on the carpet!

isnt the idea to have the heel and toe as close to the edge as possible without overhang?

if yes, then doesnt the board basically dictate stance angles?

every board Ive had thats all I did...set the angles where my heels and toes were _at_ the edges but not hanging. Even a little hang is OK Id think if youre not tipping it over as much?

err...yes.

Initially with softboots I ended up with 36/45, and now on my Coiler177AM (Thanks D-Sub) (21.5 waist) I'm at 50/55 (mondo 28 boots) with flat bindings (TD2s), set front furthest back, back second furthest forward (Narrow stance necessary due to no cants?). As well, I've got my Susukas set front boot second-least-lean, back boot second-most-lean.

I've found that lower angles, while still not interfering with overhang, simply didn't feel as good. When I first started, with both boots set to medium lean, I felt I was pressuring my front foot way, way too much, and my thigh would simply die.

Higher angles seemed to reduce the amount I could bend my knees by too much, and that's why I've stayed away from them. (Although I can ride 63-66 on softies...just issues with back ankle collapse/fear of breaking). In my experience, lower angles aren't as fluid for edge transitions, and higher angles reduce range of movement by too much.

Originally posted by Chris Houghton

Hy all you armchair coaches, did nobody notice that he is using an 8 degree cant in the front and nothing (flat) on the back foot? Shudder. Talk about getting it the wrong way around. Forget the angles, pitch that cant or move it to the back foot. Shallow angles will work fine, but not with that setup.

There's nothing saying that the cant plate HAS to be in the back. But nothing says you also HAVE to have one. To each his comfort zone. But the thing with the cant plate up front, it can prevent you from properly bending the knees. I say try flat first, bend the knees and turn your upper body in the direction of the turn.

Crave2carve, I agree with you, I like to change angles depending on board width.

Bob likes to tease me that there is no mechanical advantage to putting your toes/heels as close to the edge as possible. I disagree, because there is leverage to be gained from the length of your foot and the use of your ankle/calf. The closer you are to 90 (straight in line with the board), the less effect your ankle and calf have over your edging movements. Carves can be initiated with the subtlest of motions from the foot, so it's good to be able to use it!

'course, it's not fair to pick arguments with Bob right now, since he's laid up with HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema) from Aspen! :eek:

For what it's worth, I'm a newbie to snowboarding in general.

Here's how my progression went, and it's worked fine---no problems to date!

FREERIDE BOARD/SOFT BOOTS

F10/R0

(2-3 weeks later)

F35/R30

(2 weeks later)

F45/R35

(2 weeks later)

F45/R45

(2 weeks later)

CARVING BOARD/HARD BOOTS

F50/R45

(1 week later)

F60/R55

----------

Each time I cranked up the angles, it felt weird, but only for a day---I got used to the higher angles quickly.

Now what I haven't done yet is go back to F10/R0 on my soft gear and see what that feels like! :)

Scott

I agree with carve2carve. I allow width to dictate angles. On my 19.5 Donek I ride 55/50, Coiler all mountain 21.5 I ride 45/40 and my 23 Incline I ride 35/30. The past couple of years I've drifted to lower angles but recently I find myself liking steeper angles. Go figure! Is there ever an end to the search for the perfect setup? I'm bringing my freakin' wrench to the slopes this weekend!

I LOVE experimenting!

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Sorry, I'll elaborate....

Okay! Now I understand what you were getting at.

I didn't want to sound like a pickle-park weenie washer, but initially I thought you were saying 'don't bother trying alpine if you can't carve with your soft gear.' Which is very contrary to your enthusiasm for sharing the sport with others.

You were really only suggesting the possible difficulty in jumping from very low softboot angles to relatively high hardboot angles. This I can agree with. Though I've never been in that situation, having jumped straight from skiing. In my case, there was nothing to 'unlearn', so to speak.

A couple weeks ago I surreptitiously pushed my GF's angles about 6 degrees each foot. She's using plates on her freeride. Anyhoo, she felt very awkward most of the day, but her riding was markedly improved, as was her edge control and transitions. So, when the day was over, I told her what I had done, and we've been riding several times since, with the same setup, and now she's fine with it, and very comfortable too.

But when I told her, she wanted to strangle me. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm progressing well. After riding Friday with Mark Jeangerard he recommended that I bump ~ 2 deg each time I ride until I'm comfortable, then bump it up again. FYI, when riding with Mark I was at 35/30. Yes I know that is low!

Good news is that Sunday AM I pushed it up to 40/35. After about 6 runs at those angles I decided to push it up again as I had zero problems. So I ran the rest of the day at 45/40. Next Sunday will be 50/45.

Keep in mind that Mark gave me loads of excellent Technique tips Friday afternoon, and this could have helped me progress quicker. Also Mark mentioned that as my angles get steeper my technique will change some to accomidate a more forward stance.

Mark I can't thank you enough for all the help, and I can't wait to rail some more with ya!

JPW