Note to New Members ×

What are UPZ boot spoilers for?

st_lupo

Those are for fine tuning of contour,  not so much forward lean. Sort of a holdover from an alpine ski boot, where you don't often have the forward lean adjustment provided by a spring system.

And if you use the spring to affect forward lean, you're consuming some of the fore/aft travel as a means to fit the boot. 

If your lower legs taste just like chicken, the spoiler takes up the space, so that when the cuff is buckled, your leg isn't pinned against the back of the cuff, impairing knee flex. 

Or something like that.

If you have big legs, pull them out and use them to scoop salad dressing or spackling mud.

• Like 1

In 74 I moved to Colorado, copper was going to be two years old, got a job mid mt in a cafeteria, had a pair of cork liner Look, Boots with low backs, took six bastard files (actually a friend, mark jones, the first world champ hot dogger) taped them three together and attached them to the boots, wore a one piece snow suit and skied fresh powder every day, some days up to my breast bone, in deep snow, I would lean forward and to the side, then lean back, surface, lean forward to the other side and lean back, wow...I also put bandaids on my goggles to keep the snow out but allow them to breath, bandaids to seal them to my face, not on my skin, the next year..voila somebody came out with goggles trimmed with foam.

The spoilers allowed me to lean back, just like the fronts of hardboots allow you to do toe sides without lifting your butt in the air.

When you’re on your rear edge your spoilers are supporting you.....every inch counts;)