Note to New Members ×

Any "retirees" here?

LeeW

I was calculating the last time I hardbooted - it was 2006 with some gal from Texas and some cool local guy. I cannot place their names at the moment.

since then, I've been skiing pretty much exclusively tho I use UPZ hardboots for skiing.

i wonder if I'm alone for this?

I'm in the same boat, Lee.  Once I was out of grad school in the mid 2000s, when I was blessed with midweek days off and the mountain pretty much to myself, and started working a regular 9-5 schedule, I went back to skiing and found my bliss in the woods instead of on the endless wave.  Getting back into the swing of things and turning over the quiver in anticipation of splitting time between one plank and two next season.  A lot of new names in the forums, but a few old ones, too.  It's nice to be back.

• Like 1

I have partially retired... from skiing! :) 

As my kid grew bigger and got more involved with ski club, daddy's company on skis wasn't required any more. At the same time, working my snowboard certification up, I was constantly on board... 

Anyways, I only had few days of skiing this year. One was today - while waiting for a ski race around noon, I fooled around lots of fresh and cut up snow on the steeps. What I concluded is... I don't like skis of-piste any more :( 

• Like 2

The last time I hardbooted was 2011. It was a lot of fun laying out turns and stomping jumps at the terrain park (I would get funny looks sometimes from the young ones). But along with all that I've got a weak left shoulder due to numerous dislocations and thankfully its pretty stable. Being an ER nurse, my job depends on all my extremities to be intact. I would have a tendency to catch a heel edge and stick my arm out. Then I took up skiing (with no injuries) but that got really boring in a short amount of time. Sold the fixed heels for freeheels and now trying to master the telemark turn. Back in the early 2000s, I used to follow a forum relating alpine snowboarding. Does anybody remember the name of that forum?

• Like 1

Didn't Catek have a forum at the time?

Other way around for me. I completely dropped snowboarding for over 20 years after blowing my leg apart motoring down Sunshine's TeePee Town in Sorels in 1988. I still can't hang a board off my right knee. I peaked in teleskiing so I decided to learn to ride a carving board switch. Still working on it.

PM me if you want to work on some telemark skiing. I've been at that even longer...  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Roy said:

The last time I hardbooted was 2011. It was a lot of fun laying out turns and stomping jumps at the terrain park (I would get funny looks sometimes from the young ones). But along with all that I've got a weak left shoulder due to numerous dislocations and thankfully its pretty stable. Being an ER nurse, my job depends on all my extremities to be intact. I would have a tendency to catch a heel edge and stick my arm out. Then I took up skiing (with no injuries) but that got really boring in a short amount of time. Sold the fixed heels for freeheels and now trying to master the telemark turn. Back in the early 2000s, I used to follow a forum relating alpine snowboarding. Does anybody remember the name of that forum?

Perhaps www.Freecarve.com  ?  I've almost quit posting there, but it is still 'active'...

Pre School Rider, or, "PSR", or, EJB, whatever..

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 9:54 AM, lowrider said:

Still riding on one but resort to two when tired or conditions don't allow me to ride one. What bindings are you using with your UPZ 's ?

Used to be Rossi bindings... but this time, I have look. I like 'em.

On 4/9/2017 at 2:03 PM, Snowman said:

Lee, I believe that it was myself and Shredder Jen that you rode with.  Come back to the dark side, the equipment continues to the evolve and the community continues to grow.  ⛄

Oh my, that's it! many thanks for helping me out. Its much appreciated. Ah, dunno if I'll come back... tho I still have Madd 158. :)