Note to New Members ×

Whats old is new in carving

1lukeduke

Hello to all - I am new to this forum, so I thank everyone in advance for all you time and knowledge in this sport!!!

My question has been talked about before but I was unable to find what I was looking for. Here is the back story. I started snowboarding in the late 80's in SoCal. I then moved to Steamboat Springs and began racing SL and GS. I rode both soft and hard boots. I did this for five years and just loved it. But I must say I always loved my hard boots most. I even dreamed of how I could some how use my hard boots for the powder and tree days. I was getting 80-100 days a year with a trip to MT Hood during the summer. I moved back to SoCal and hated the snow so much, I wrote it off. Flash forward 2016.  I have not bordered since 1996! 20 years. So I snowboarded three times last year and just loved it. Even with the bad snow. So things have changed immensely since I left! I now am head over heals in love again. I have always had a heart for Eurocarving since my days on my Burton PJ 6. So I have purchased a pair of UPZ boots to get started and now am looking for my next step. Questions:

1. Do I still need to have two boards? (like a Swoard Dual and some other full carve board)

2. I don't mind soft and hard boots for different days as soft boots are a lot stiffer now. Just curious what everyone is getting these days.

I am sorry if this is not the correct spot or the correct etiquette for this type of questions. I just want you all to know how excited I am about doing this all over again. As a bonus my kids are starting to learn and I can see it all over again! Thank you all for your comments!!!

For my friends from the 90's "you carve you carve even if its icy"

1Lukeduke

• Like 3

welcome, glad you found B.O.L. center of the american hardboot universe.

I've gotten lots of questions about my hardboot gear this weekend.and will get into more detail later; for now let me say softboot gear is a whole lot better than it was in the 90s, but I still prefer softer flexing hardshells (with stepin binding) to straps and laces for all boards in all conditions.

Today was skier/rider packed chewed chunky ponderay premix rather than sierra cement. Way more work on the 25cm wide arbor than the 21cm wide nidecker

.Keep in mind I'm an outlier, having ridden hardshells almost exclusively, in steeps, bumps, trees, pow, and backcountry since before mt 1st metal edged board

4011546473_c9cf0d5f84_z.jpg

I had a chance to demo libtechs today but they're all 26 wide and short with various forms of rocker (not a fan) so I didn't bother.

looking forward to this discussion.

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 1lukeduke said:

1. Do I still need to have two boards? (like a Swoard Dual and some other full carve board)

2. I don't mind soft and hard boots for different days as soft boots are a lot stiffer now. Just curious what everyone is getting these days.

1. Most folks have several boards.  I think a wider carving board and a powder board could cover most bases...  The new boards are really nice.  We have great custom builders like Donek and Thirst in the US.  Across the border in Canada there's a wizard making boards under the Coiler label.  I rode a Coiler Nirvana almost exclusively through all kinds of conditions for the last two seasons. The dollar is strong right now, just sayin'.

2. Most people keep a pair of stiffer softies for all kinds of reasons (BTW- those board builders make carving softie boards as well).  Powder, Slush, Chopped up conditions are all reasons people like to have a softie setup available.

I hope I answered your questions... 

PS- There's no etiquette here...

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input. Very descriptive and insight full. Also thank you for the welcomes! Jim I will call you this week. Thank you. I look forward to your insight. Super pumped to be apart of my old love again. Looking forward to seeing you all one day. I plan to one day even make it to an event. Just won't be this year.

• Like 1