Note to New Members ×

Best carving/bargain in Vermont?

Miguel

Where's the best bang for the buck in Vermont? We're going to Vermont for the President's Weekend. I'm considering Mount Snow but I'm not sure of the quality of the carving. The lift tickets are reasonable and they seem to have quite a few lifts for the size of the place. We're open to any place other than Stratton, Okemo and killington as we've been there several times in the past. Any suggestions? Looking for cruisers.

If you are going President's weekend, stay away from Snow, Stratton, or Okemo! Unless you like carving in crowds. I definitely recommend Sugarbush. If you must be near Mount Snow, check out Haystack; not quite as crowded, cheaper, and lots of good carving there.

I'm not sure, but I think I heard Ascutney was pretty good to carve at; Burke too.

Tommy

I appreciate that response about the crowds. I had wondered about the crowds in the southern part of the state. We're not limited to anywhere...it just means a bit more driving which I'm more than willing to do. I will definitely look into Sugarbush. I think I was there once years ago and remember it being quite nice. Isn't that the one with the almost endless view at the top? I also recall one trail with many hairpin turns that was really kewl. Yeah....I think I'll go to Sugarbush!!:)

Originally posted by Miguel

Tommy

Isn't that the one with the almost endless view at the top? I also recall one trail with many hairpin turns that was really kewl. Yeah....I think I'll go to Sugarbush!!:)

Yup! That's the one! That trail with hairpins is fun to rip up with my GS skis. The picture of my avatar was taken at the 'Bush on Lower Snowball. Lots of good carving can be found at Mt Ellen. Take the quad over there (Does the quad still exist?) If not, it's worth the short bus ride. Even smaller crowds, and excellent groomed runs.

That's what I did, after calling around the valley. I got a nice condo (walking distance to the hill) for less than a hotel. They do provide lift/lodging combos, so you'll have to inquire about current rates, etc.

I'm not too versed with lodging, but central reservations always works well for me. But then again, I always go non-holiday.

He he...the joys of teaching...I'm on my prep period, thank you very much! Who's to say what I'm preparing for!

Awesome about the vise...maybe it'll get here in time for me to use it this weekend. I'll check my email next and get that money in the mail.

Muchas grassy ass!, Miguel