Note to New Members ×

Snurfers back on the market

patmoore

It was reported earlier but I hadn't seen them until I visited LL Bean in West Lebanon, NH last night.  I think I saw a $99 price tag.  I think I paid more for my vintage model.

IMG_5092.JPG

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 2

Bru Moscallero (of  Vew-Dew balance boards) is the dude behind the new  Snurfers.  New shapes and sizes, and not griptape, but stiff foam (like ye olde DaKine stomp pads) for grip. Much friendlier to light hiking boots or Snow-skate sneakers than staples!

Bru was my first PSIA Snowboard Clinician/Examiner back in '89 . He's in Manchester still, I think? A Local at Bromley as well.

• Like 1

The 'other' Vermonter to own the Snurfer name was Paul Graves, of Reading, VT.  He was a Snurfer Champion a few times, my first Coach/Mentor for Snowboarding, and also was Terry Kidwell's manager. About '93-'94, I gave him my Snurfer, a one-off custom. I had put Aluminum L-angle metal along the edges that flared out into two deeper skegs at the tail, a mid-mounted skeg that was set just at the start of the v-bevel, fiberglass sheet base, and bicycle inner-tubes to help keep you on board. I rode that at Ascutney and Storr's ski-jump hill around '78 into '80, until I got the Flite 140. Paul had Burton Backhill's and Backyards for sale in Woodstock, and my Mom bought a Backhill, which I used at The Nationals Race in '82 that was held at Suicide 6. So, my roots have roots, so to speak!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

The 'other' Vermonter to own the Snurfer name was Paul Graves, of Reading, VT.  He was a Snurfer Champion a few times, my first Coach/Mentor for Snowboarding, and also was Terry Kidwell's manager. About '93-'94, I gave him my Snurfer, a one-off custom. I had put Aluminum L-angle metal along the edges that flared out into two deeper skegs at the tail, a mid-mounted skeg that was set just at the start of the v-bevel, fiberglass sheet base, and bicycle inner-tubes to help keep you on board. I rode that at Ascutney and Storr's ski-jump hill around '78 into '80, until I got the Flite 140. Paul had Burton Backhill's and Backyards for sale in Woodstock, and my Mom bought a Backhill, which I used at The Nationals Race in '82 that was held at Suicide 6. So, my roots have roots, so to speak!

Eric, you are one of so few that LIVED those early moments in the history of snowboarding.   Your memories and experiences are treasures.   Thank you for sharing with us!! Bryan 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

I started in '79 on one of those yellow Snurfers that we found in a friend's garage. First thing we did after the first try is lose the rope and make some custom Skyhooks out of aluminum. Pretty much exactly like the ones available now on the Jones Mountain Surfer. Worked like a charm!!!

• Like 1

Bike inner-tubes were about as advanced as I was able to do for bindings. Skyhooks were not at all on my mind (they didn't yet exist in '78?), but I did want to jump!

My Snurfer had the extra fins, plus the lil' bit of edging from the L-angle (no curvature) , so it did actually try to turn on hardpack, if you didn't push too hard. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Skyhooks were not at all on my mind (they didn't yet exist in '78?)

Yeah, they were already around in 1978. I would say their "glory days" were probably around '77-'78. Several pics and ads in the mags. From a post by Rene Carrasco on NCDSA: "Besides doing thousands of skateboard demo's promoting Skyhooks, my brothers and I were paid Skyhook Team Riders from 1977 to 1981."

• Like 2