Note to New Members ×

How much time do I have left?

SWriverstone

Assuming I can't afford to go to Chile, how much time do I have left to work on carving this year? This is my first full season doing any snow sport...so I'm wondering when it ends? Not only around here (Mid-Atlantic) but anywhere in the US or Canada (in case I can muster the bucks to go somewhere closer than Chile). What's the average "closing time" for the resorts in your area? (I know it depends on weather, conditions, etc...which is why I said "average.")

Scott

Come to Mammoth in California. We stay open until June typically, and this year with the record snowfall we've been having, carving on Independence day looks very possible. We've had Oct-Aug seasons in the past. Talk about a deal on a season pass that year ($400 for 11 months!!).

Originally posted by nekdut

Come to Mammoth in California. We stay open until June typically, and this year with the record snowfall we've been having, carving on Independence day looks very possible. We've had Oct-Aug seasons in the past. Talk about a deal on a season pass that year ($400 for 11 months!!).

Holy Neverending Winter! JUNE!!?? Hmm...I may definitely have to divert some paddling and hang gliding time to get out there in April or May...

Scott

I've had awesome conditions in Banff in mid May. From mid April, you can head up to Sunshine, board all day on good snow, catch the free concert (some top Canadian bands), sit in the sunshine and drink tequila. Catch the gondola back down cos you're too trashed to board down the ski out! Life don't get much better.

In a normal year Timberline is very carvable through July andf into August. Not much terrain - only one lane on the snowfield, unless you are with a camp. But "turns is turns"!

Also click on the link in my signature :)

This season has so far been all-time historically bad here in the Pac NW, but Mt Hood has gotten some snow recently and if the trends continues, we could wind up in very good shape in May!

Originally posted by Allee

I've had awesome conditions in Banff in mid May. From mid April, you can head up to Sunshine, board all day on good snow, catch the free concert (some top Canadian bands), sit in the sunshine and drink tequila. Catch the gondola back down cos you're too trashed to board down the ski out! Life don't get much better.

I think Sunshine and Louise usually close more due to lack of customers than lack of snow. Their big client base is in Calgary, and it's hard to think snow when you're golfing in April.

Sunshine opened on the July long weekend one year, just to say they could do it. There was about a 2 hour window while the runs under Standish were transitioning from ice to slush, after that it was just a big party I hear.

Hey Stone

We ride at Blue Mtn Pa until about mid to end of March, but pack the glider. Blue Mtn is situated on a mountain ridge where the Appalachian Trail runs through. I always see guys unloading their gliders on the weekend when I'm heading home from riding. i personnally dont glide but I'm sure the local folks wouldnt mind you hanging out. The local sport shop taht might have more info is Nestors. (Fun Hogs)

Originally posted by Chubz

Hey Stone

We ride at Blue Mtn Pa until about mid to end of March, but pack the glider. Blue Mtn is situated on a mountain ridge where the Appalachian Trail runs through. I always see guys unloading their gliders on the weekend when I'm heading home from riding. i personnally dont glide but I'm sure the local folks wouldnt mind you hanging out. The local sport shop taht might have more info is Nestors. (Fun Hogs)

Thanks Chubz---I'll check that out. I've never flown up there, but I'm sure there are some good sites. I hope to make it to Blue Mountain too. Alas, can't make it to the BMES there...gotta concert to play that night!

Scott