Note to New Members ×

Summer board storage and care...

Colozeus

On 4/20/2018 at 5:56 AM, RFKANGOO said:

Why store your stuff if you can go snowboarding all year long. 

DSC_2316.JPG

That’s really intriguing. I don’t have that kind of indoor option. Maybe I’m glad? I’d probably go if we had one. But I think I might like the seasonality of the sport. In the summer I surf and ride motorcycles. Plus I take delight in working on boards and my winter gear for when the season comes back around. I’m not sure if I’d have the same passion if i could ride year round. Kind of like when Circe offered Odysseus the chance to be immortal and he was like nah, thanks for offering but I think I’ll pass.

7 hours ago, fish said:

That’s really intriguing. I don’t have that kind of indoor option. Maybe I’m glad? I’d probably go if we had one. But I think I might like the seasonality of the sport. In the summer I surf and ride motorcycles. Plus I take delight in working on boards and my winter gear for when the season comes back around. I’m not sure if I’d have the same passion if i could ride year round. Kind of like when Circe offered Odysseus the chance to be immortal and he was like nah, thanks for offering but I think I’ll pass.

For me it is also some kind of workout. I don't like going to a gym and I ride a bike sometimes but only when the sun is shining. So I dicided to go to the fridge 2x a week to work on my carving skills. 

And I'm glad most of the People don't like to be here so I have the slopes for myself. ? ? 

On 4/19/2018 at 1:37 PM, daveo said:

Curious why everyone uses 'cheap' wax for storage? Considering how many times you wax your board each season, why are you using cheap wax for this single application of storage?

I personally use Dominator Graphite ReNew or Briko-Maplus Race Base Soft/Medium,

Those are likely the two best storage/prep waxes.

the maplus is actually kinda fast too! 

Edited by bobdea

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 12:43 PM, bigwavedave said:

I've never had rust under the wax, I think it protects. Seems like a lot of extra work to completely remove the bindings.

I have 4 or 5 boards but only a couple pair of bindings. So I'm pretty much accustomed to popping my hardware every day. I do worry that I'm not keeping consistent angles. But I haven't had much trouble getting things set up good-enough on the fly. At the root of it all is that I just can't bring myself to buy more bindings. They aren't that fun. And improvements seem few and far between. Hence I drop the money on boards and other things that are more exciting.

I just leave the boards leaning against the wall.  But when I see other riders storing them on racks, I've always wondered why that would be better.  

I used to store them down the basement, and the edges did get a few tiny spots of discoloration, but  gentle buff with a diamond stone erased that.  Now I leave the two I ride regularly in the dining room.  I'm also going to loosen the bindings this year -- that seems like a good tip.