Note to New Members ×

hard snowboard boots vs Solomon SX-91 Equipe ski boots???

1xsculler

My Solomon SX-91 Equipe ski boots are super comfortable, have good forward flexibility, have no toe or heel overhang at 55/55 or even 60/60 and they have great lateral support.  If I was extreme carving heel and toe might become a problem but that's a ways off for me.

What are the disadvantages of using my Solomons as my carving boots?  What are the benefits of hard snowboard boots?

Choosing between carving and ski boots is mostly a matter a preference in the end. If the forward and lateral flex is sufficient, some ski boots can fit the profile perfectly. Since most commercial ski boots are extremely stiff with almost no lean adjustment, its better to go with hardboots since most models have exactly the same average flex characteristics in the right places, give or take some stiffness in the lean and cant. Some racers and carvers do utilize full-on commercial ski boots but many use a highly advanced 'natural' technique or cut certain places in the boot to control flex or stiffness. I believe that some manufacturers did or still do create boots which can be used on a carving board and skis on the same day with some inserts and adjustments.

Edited by iplaywithnoshoes

A Rear-Entry boot is a bad choice, even if the shin-cuff feels all comfy. Why? Well, there's no decent means to hold your heel down for toeside turns, and trust me, once you get that HUGE blister on your heel, you'll understand!

In terms of adjusting forward lean [other than the cuff adjusts as they are], any padding added to the rear of the boot will affect fit and closure.

Lastly, that era of ski boot is old enough now, I wouldn't want to risk blowing apart the shells (and, like, I'm known for riding on 'antique' stuff... Don't trust those boot's plastic under high stress, they'll break!). Snowboard plate bindings, and the forces you are putting on the boot, are not really good for the heel area on these. 

A snowboard specific boot is certainly better overall, with fit features, and flex adjustments that are better for riding than what the SX-91 offers. Also the sole length is shorter (and rounded) on most Snowboard boots. If having the option of skiing and riding, in the same boots is what you want, look at some of freeskiing boots out there, or perhaps a 'coaches' boot based on a mountaineering shell. 

• Like 1

What Eric said.

Also, why would overhang increase instead of decrease when you go from 55 to 60 degrees? How did you measure your binding angles?

And just out of curiosity: This is the tenth boot-themed thread you have started within three weeks. If you are of the opinion that good boots are the most important piece of hardbooting equipment, I could not agree more. But how do you manage keep  abreast of all the info?

Edited by Aracan

As someone who actually used sx91e on a wide carve board PLEASE dont bother. Forwad lean (lack of it), rigid lateral flex, heel lift all made sb hardshells a quantum leap in comfort,position & control. If you want to step from board to skis in the same boot like I do, Ive been using light weight Scarpa AT boots with back foot in walk mode and found they exel in all terrain on all mt boards and still ski better than my beloved old 1 buckle ski slippers.

What are the disadvantages of using my Solomons as my carving boots?

They're old, rear entry, and ski boots.  That's enough to get you ignorant scorn and derision, and make you an outsider in a niche market, even if they're perfect for your particular application.

And they're not, unless I misread that post where you mentioned that you can only link arced turns when the snow is good, the slope just so, and the planets align.

So it's not like you can say "Hey, these work great, why change?"

On the other hand, they are familiar, comfortable, and paid for, which counts for something.

If you prefer the fit, geometry, and dual use of ski boots, then you should shop a few second hand stores and/or your local town dump for a solid pair of Raichle Flexons, or something newer from Full Tilt, which is more or less the same thing.

Or whatever it was that BlueB recommended in one of the other posts.

What are the benefits of hard snowboard boots?

You get to complain about heel lift, uncomfortable liners, and the prospect of replacing those liners with other liners. Problems you might not have had with your trusty SX91e.

Justification for buying new bindings to gain step-in convenience, and the opportunity to learn how to 'properly' configure that unfamiliar binding system. (Odds are extremely good that what 'works' for the Salomon will not work with a UPZ or Deeluxe.)

Also, a place to hang a fancy set of springs that you may or may not need.

And you'll learn how to buy the wrong size boot not once, but probably twice.

You get the feeling of walking about in public in high heels without the awkward stares.

New boots might also improve your riding.

Or then, maybe not.

​Some of the previous is sarcasm, some not. In time you'll know which is which.

---

In another life, I had the opportunity to compete in a variety of shells, with all manner of rigging and oars.

I remember fondly the feel of the wooden Kaschper hulls, and there was this particular set of Stämphli blades that felt just right.

At the time, these were Olympic/World Championship grade components.

The writing was on the wall for natural fibers though, and in short order all went to composites.

Some of the earlier layups and shapes were crap, and felt like it.

After a fashion, the new stuff truly was better, and we all went faster through the water.

New=better may not always be the case with snowboard gear, but you won't know until you spend some time and money on it.

Good luck with the quest.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 3

Many french racers in 1988-89 used SX91 equipe on the front boot, combined with Koflach albona's on the bach foot, or dynafit ski tour boot and races were won. but it was a long time ago. I rode my burton safari II with SX61 and the Albona for a season...well was comfy and precise enough.

unless I had no other choice I would not want to do that again. Boards have changed a lot, have much more refined flex patterns and require more subtle setup..

N

Subtley is the word; You can certainly split kindleing with a 12# maul if your into squirrel hunting with elephant guns.

I would never regress back to my sx91,s for skiing, let alone ride in something so stiff, upright and flexless.

Much easier to ski well in flexy boots than it is to ride well in stiff boots.