Note to New Members ×

28cm foot 27 boot?

1xsculler

My foot measures almost exactly 28cm. Is it likely I can get comfortable in a 27 UPZ? What about 27 Deeluxe?

I have low volume foot and wear a US 11 to 12.5 shoe depending on brand and a C (narrow) width.

Hard to say. I can't speak to the Deeluxe but I can with regards to UPZ (which fits a narrow heel better than a narrow forefot, to my mind).

My personal experience with this, which may or may not be helpful: I am significantly downsized, at mp26 (UPZ) from a foot that measures 27.5 or thereabouts (a significant factor here is my big toe is somewhat longer than the rest and I don't want to leave too much empty room just because of it). This works for me as long as I don't do too much walking in my boots, and as long as I don't wear them all that much longer than a day on the hill. If I put them on right before and right after snowboarding, I'm peachy keen. If I put them on, ride the bus to the hill, snowboard, drink some apres beers, ride the bus home: I'll end up with some pretty angry feet.

What I like about it: a very solid connection and very direct feel with positively *zero* slop. 

What's annoying about it: having to take shoes to the hill rather than just suiting up at the condo and showing up with nothing more than what I need.

I had to do lots of punching and grinding to get this to work for me. And the initial trial and error can be err ... rather uncomfortable. That said: having endured sloppy fitting boots in the past, it is well worth it. I'm probably going to buy a new set of boots next year, the exact same size and have them punched/ground to match my existing shells before I ever even put them on.

Edited by queequeg

You really can't tell from the numbers.  I have a 28cm foot, wear a US 10.5 (Burton boots for example fit me perfectly at 10.5) and the Deeluxe 28MP feels on the verge of being too large.

The length of your foot does not tell the whole story.  Width, shape, calf, and flexibility all play a role.  You really really need to try the boot first.

My foot measures almost exactly 28cm. Is it likely I can get comfortable in a 27 UPZ? What about 27 Deeluxe?

I have low volume foot and wear a US 11 to 12.5 shoe depending on brand and a C (narrow) width.

UPZ have toebox bigger and so they wear 1 number more. My size is 27 and I have a 26 Rc8 boots with moldable liners.

The DeeLuxe Track 700 are quite similar (I wear 1 number smaller).

The DeeLuxe 325 series wear the same number.

Do you measure foot bare or with the sock you board in?

I use the thinnest socks possible, since my experience is that thick socks tend to pack out over the course of a day and create a looser fit/blisters. I measure without socks but the difference should be negligible if your socks are thin.

Edited by queequeg

I use the thinnest socks possible, since my experience is that thick socks tend to pack out over the course of a day and create a looser fit/blisters. I measure without socks but the difference should be negligible if your socks are thin.

Me too.

This is true for you, and not a blanket statement that works for everyone.

In addition, while the UPZs have a wider toe box than the Track 225, 325 and 425 boot, the Deeluxe Track 700 has the widest toe box of any currently available hardboot.

Yes, may be.

It seems we are telling the same things.

I agree about the widest toe box of the Track 700 (in fact I use 1 number smaller than mine). 

This is true for you, and not a blanket statement that works for everyone.

In addition, while the UPZs have a wider toe box than the Track 225, 325 and 425 boot, the Deeluxe Track 700 has the widest toe box of any currently available hardboot.

To my mind, the UPZ chracteristic forefoot width is across the metatarsals but not the toe-box, because it is shaped like a "greek foot" (and a rather extreme one at that):

tumblr_lxkfx95wH11r5w8abo1_500.gif

Not sure how the width across the metatarsals compares with that of the Track700, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the track is wider. I've had to punch the width of my UPZ's significantly: in the toebox to compensate for my egyptian big toe, and across the metatarsals because clubfoot.

I chose the UPZ because I like the ramp, and the narrow heel, and because it is easier to make a narrow boot wide than a wide boot narrow, but I actually have no idea whether or not the track700 would work for me or not. I suspect the toe box would. I'd love a UPZ with a more open toe-box that better accommodates Egyptian feet.

I agree that generalized boot descriptions as "wide" "narrow" etc ... throughout are not really specific enough. I think Fins experiment with the sand (was it sand?) was a good start on determining overall average volume - but that doesn't really help when it comes to determining fit for particular foot types. What would be really awesome would be to fill a set of boots with silicone/foam, with the resulting cast cut into sections - so that actual width/height volume could be determined at the various sections of the foot. This information could go a long way to helping people determine what boot would work best for their foot. Probably wouldn't be perfect but seems like it would be helpful. Of course: some boots would have to be sacrificed but perhaps people would be happy to donate their old/broken boots for the betterment of the community??

Edited by queequeg

I'm willing to pick up the glove, err... boot. I have scanners that can measure a boot easily.

If someone wants to donate 3 or 4 boots of the same size I can cut them up and produce a couple of cross-sections you could print out and measure your foot against.

I'm thinking that a top to bottom section would be incredibly useful. Even if it's only the bottom half of the boot.

You want the numbers? Check it out here. Additionally:

Hope that helps clarify things some. I would love for you to try the 700s at some point, as it sounds like we have very similar feet shape, and the 700's improved my riding by leaps and bounds.

Thanks Jim!

I probably should have tried the 700's when I was at SES, but I do very much like the UPZ for a few different reasons (my only real complaint is the toe box). That said: without having ridden the 700's I have no basis for comparison of course.

That volume test that fin did is pretty cool, but I feel like a general volume number is only of limited value, since it doesn't really indicate how that volume is distributed across the foot.

Edited by queequeg