Note to New Members ×

UPZ RC10 Tongue Rotation - suggestions?

jim_s

I'm loving my new RC10's (rode for many years on Burton Shadows, so its like night & day!)

One problem I'm having is that the tongue is rotating around to the side of the boot as I ride, leaving me pressing my shins against the edge of the liner cuff in the front, until I stop and shift the tongues back into place.

I tried putting some self-adhesive velcro on the front of the tongue (small/narrow piece, so it fits between the liner cuff edges in the front), matching up to  the other velcro piece adhered to the inside front of the shell, but I invariably detach one or both pieces of velcro (the sticky stuff just isn't that sticky, and the cold makes it even less so), when getting the boots on or off.

Next thought is to glue some 1/8" or so soft foam onto the front of the tongue, so it'll sort of seat into place between the front edges of the liner edges, and maybe that would keep the tongue from rotating. (Don't imagine that'd affect the flex at all, but not sure it wouldn't, either...)

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what have you done to resolve it? My poor shins are pretty sore by the end of the day, as mid-run, I'm having too much fun making trenches to stop and adjust the cuff! :-)

I have a similar problem with my RC8. The tongue works its way upward during riding. Used to be I pushed it down whenever I stopped, and that was that. Now that the liner is more worn-down pressure points have start to develop on the inside of my rear shin.

My short-term solution is a Boot Doc gel pad. Next stop: New liners, probably thermo-moldable, wraparound style.

As Castanza might have said, 'there was rubbing and touching, I think it moved.'

Perhaps get wrap around intuition or palau liners, makes the boot lighter and more pleasant to ride.  I used to have the same issue when I rode tongue boots, I think it's a problem as you run higher angles.  I have exceptionally bony shins with a lot of scars from Muay Thai Boxing and biking and stuff, so I am very prone to shin injuries now from rubbing. 

The other way would be to use something like Shintronics to protect your shin.

Front foot, rear foot, both?

If you flex the boots while standing on the floor, (not clipped into your bindings) and the tongues don't move sideways, then the problem may be caused by some combination of cuff alignment, cant/lift, or combined splay angle.

If they do move when off the board, then the issue is probably cuff alignment, and/or inadequate foot support.

Or you have tibiae with the cross-sectional characteristics of an airfoil.

Although there are a few people who seem to like the UPZ liners, most opt to replace them with a thermoflex wrap liner (for which tongue slippage is not an issue).

I agree, I replaced the original UPZ liners with Palau OVP Soft. Another story!